What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Popup Screen: Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I turn the Cellular Data popup off? I don't subscribe to Verizon (iPad Designation), so don't appreciate the frequent notification that my iPad 2 can't make the connection. My "Settings/Cellular Data" is already set to Off. The goal, by having it set to off, is to prevent the IPad from using this function all the time. Anything to lessen the draw on the battery. Obviously this didn't work, so is there another way to stop the popup screen?

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim. As you can see I'm new to this setup.
BTW like your alien six-shooter!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you actually getting a cellular data can't connect pop-up or simply one that says the iPad can't connect to the Internet?

My avatar is not of my own making - it was put there by one of the other Moderators, SweetPoisin. :(

Tim

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's funny, your peers are looking out after you. Did you return the favor? I got a kick out of it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - but something on your iPad must want access to the Internet - perhaps it's your Mail app trying to check for new email? Presumably you're in an app that doesn't require Internet access - perhaps an Office app - and you're getting this pop-up as, say, Mail checks for new email. Have you got your Mail app set to automatically retrieve email?

Tim

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the screen prompt when my system can't connect with the internet. This isn't that. I do have my system setup to check e-mail every 15, but that shouldn't involve my cell function, because I have that function totally shut down. There is a special area to shut that off, in the settings area.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - so you're saying that you're connected to WiFi (so that your Mail client can check for email) but that this pop-up still occurs - even though you're connected to the Internet via WiFii? That is very strange because, as I'm sure you know, the iPad will absolutely always try to use WiFi to connect to the Internet irrespective of how poor that connection is - i.e. it will never switch to 3G if there's a WiFi connection available.

As you say, too, there is a special area in the 'Settings' menu ('Cellular Data'), where you can turn off access to cellular data for precisely the reason that you cite.

I'm hoping that another Member will come along with some other ideas because, as you can see, I'm running out of ideas myself....:(

Tim

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, everything you've said is correct. I am connected to the Web, often typing an e-mail or Web searching, and that darned popup screen will appear. And of course it insists that I click it off before I can continue typing. I know the iPad always searches for a WiFi connection and only goes to 3G, if it can't find the former,

Thanks for giving the issue some though, even if you couldn't figure it out. It drives me nuts, as you can imagine.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - I can well imagine how annoying it must be. I still can't understand the cause though. When my iPad's out of 3G coverage I don't get that pop up - it only appears when there's no WiFi or 3G.

Tim

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that you and I are talking about this, I do believe the search 3G is tied directly into the Settings/Mail . . . Push/XXmins. function. Assuming all the various searches (multiply e-mails) are being completed, but when it tries to complete the G3 search, the fact that I have it turn off prevents that search and triggers the popup prompt.

So the way to test this theory is to change the Settings/Mail/Push setting from every 15-mins to say every 5-mins, or even manual only, and see if it stops the popup prompt. I'll give it a try and let you know.

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's under the Fetch New, I just looked and changed it to manually.

OP
A

AkaCam9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I didn't even have to wait 15-mins to find out. I turned it to manual and still within mins. the popup was up. Okay, so maybe I have to disengage Push all together; but that doesn't make sense as that function isn't supposed to search as a directive from my iPad, it's supposed to be activated by the e-mail server.

Most reactions

Latest posts