Poor planning by Apple IMO

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Matth3w, Jun 3, 2010.

1. James Goddard

James Goddard
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I ordered the iPad, dock and case all at the same time. Dock came first, then iPad. Still waiting on the case.

From the iPad point of view, I think people selling ipads on bay for 200% of the price might leave some bad tastes in customers mouths but probably not enough to override the buzz generated by not being able to get one.

From the case side, well it's jut plain annoying. I feel like I'm missing put on a lot of use because there are a lot of places I don't want to take it without a case.

2. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Could Apple be leaving a door open for aftermarket suppliers? Could they prefer to spend all energy on the iPad production first?

I've ordered all accessories the same day as the iPad. Everything came in six different shipments. An other one should be here shortly, the camera accessories...

3. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Trust me, Apple is not trying to leave stuff open to aftermarket suppliers. Apple is the most locked down proprietary major tech company out there.

Besides, they make a FORTUNE on those accessories. They probably pay some 12 year old Chinese kid .10 cents an hour to put together those cases and camera kits and then resell them at like a million percent markup.

4. wot_fan

wot_fan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I beg to differ. Apple makes very few accessories for the iPod/iPhone/iPad. A vast majority of accessories are made by 3rd party vendors. While I agree that Apple is not trying to give aftermarket suppliers a boost, I don't see how they can be considered "locked down" when it comes to accessories.

I understand your frustration at not being able to get the camera kit and yes it is true that Apple appears to have greatly underestimated the demand for the iPad. On the other hand though, I remember right after the iPad was announced most tech/gadget sites considered the iPad a joke. Comments left on iPad articles were full of people ridiculing the device. It is just a large iPod Touch after all. With all the negative comments circulating before its release, I am not surprised that Apple underestimated the demand. You yourself said that you weren't really interested in an iPad until you used one. If you didn't know you wanted one, how was Apple supposed to know ;).

5. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Business 101, heck... Business 1. If you make something, you want to sell it to as many people as possible. Apple (or any successful company) lives by this simple rule. I wager that somewhere heads are rolling because of the lack of product. Trust me, Apple wants you to buy their case, USB adapter, keyboard, dock.....etc. They are not in business to support aftermarket manufactures (nor should they be). This is a screw up, and someone or a group is being held responsible.

6. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    EXACTLY. Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. Obfuscation

Obfuscation
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I was going to buy an apple case with my ipad but since it was backordered I didn't. I will probably be buying a marware eco vue case after my ipad comes