Please Confirm Large PDF can be read.

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by zipur, Mar 9, 2011.

1. zipur

zipur iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    This is a go-no go for me on the Ipad 2 I know there are apps to read PDFs what I need to know if will the IPAD handle large PDF documents can be read 1200+ pages. I have several technical documents that I am hoping to use on the IPAD. Does it work or is it choppy and glitchy? What app is the best?

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
    Most Forum members report that GoodReader, the 'Swiss Army Knife' for the iPad, is the best PDF reader for large documents. I've not read one as large as you are proposing - but 300 pages is certainly no problem. I'm sure other Forum members will be able to report on this as GoodReader is consistently voted the No.1 'Must Have' app for the iPad. There seems to be some uncertainty as to whether the iPad2 has the same or twice the memory (RAM) as the iPad1 - which, I guess, would impact its ability to read really large documents. We all know that the iPad2 has a greater CPU performance and a significantly better graphics performance than its predecessor but whether the current edition of GoodReader can take advantage of that is, at best, uncertain.

1200 pages!! That *is* a big document!!

Tim
    Scotland

3. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It works well. Other's have posted no lag with 50+ MB PDFs.

Only issue I have is the screen is a bit small for some PDFs (letter sized ones) and the panning and scrolling gets old. Really have to read them in landscape a half page at a time.

But otherwise, an iPad with Goodreader is the best gadget I've found for PDFs currently, and a big reason why I'm getting an iPad 2.

4. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    No problem for me. There are some cases where images are scanned and can cause problems, but for me, 100% reliable, and I use it all the time, every say - often for many hours.

My biggest .PDF is over 500 MB and opens without issue (in GoodReader).