What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Cropping

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't recall, the free photoshop maybe. But I cropped it in gallery. I can show the same result with any cropped photo but you won't know what I cropped it to without a frame!

See my earlier comments about where it does and doesn't work right. If sent in an email the cropped is correct.

More insight. Open Pages, add photo from gallery, the selection view of gallery does NOT show the photo as cropped! But viewing in gallery it does! Definitely something odd going on.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I open a cropped photo in another app, I get the uncropped picture. That's why I crop them in Snapseed, or Skitch, or Photoshop, and then save them back to Camera Roll. I just tried to crop a photo using PS and put a frame around it, then opened Pages and inserted the picture there. It stayed cropped and with the chosen frame.

I've read the thread before.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great but that begs the issue that CROP in gallery isn't working correctly! But good to know a way to do it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Crop in the Photos app only tells the app to use a certain part of the picture, but the original is still there, so you don't really crop the photo. If you select "Edit" again afterwards, you can "Revert to original" (top left), which undoes everything you edited before. Maybe this is a reason why some apps open the unedited picture.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting and I think you got it. Crop only sets some markers. Those apps that you can access from that photo page: email, message, iCloud etc recognize the markers. Other apps, like Pages do not. So crop is really kind of a temporary thing intended for use with that set of actions. Also explains why save does not save a copy just displays the original in a cropped view!

Guess photoShop or similar going to be getting more use now!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Photos app uses a non-destructive edit. This means any changes like filters or cropping do not affect the original photo. You can always revert if you've made a mistake. Most of the time this is handy. But it can be a problem when other apps access the Camera Roll, as they often don't recognize and apply the current edits.

Why Pages doesn't beats me. You'd think Apple would know better.

There are two ways around the problem, that I can think of.

One is to force Photos to make a copy of the edited photo. Mail is one method. Saving it to a Shared Photo Stream is another (you have to choose the Photo Stream version in Pages). You should also be able to select and copy the photo, then go to Pages to paste it. Anything that makes a copy instead of just modifying the original should work.

The other method is to use the masking and frame effects in Pages. On the positive side you get to adjust and re-adjust until you've got everything exactly the way you want it to appear on the page. The negatives are the limited number of frames and the fact that Pages keeps the entire photo. The last is usually only a problem if you have a lot of photos in the document, in which case the document can get overly large.

Edit: Just read the last post, and it looks like you have already figured this all out. :oops:

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very awkward. I edit the photostream copy and it saves to camera roll as a separate photo from original but put it Pages and it is still full size. I suppose because photostream in a link to camera roll not a seperate file.

Surely Apple can do better but meanwhile we live with the work arounds. Thanks all for suggestions, I have learned a lot to pass along to my iPad classes that I give at the local Senior Center! We Geezers love our iPads too!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Very awkward. I edit the photostream copy and it saves to camera roll as a separate photo from original but put it Pages and it is still full size. I suppose because photostream in a link to camera roll not a seperate file.

Surely Apple can do better but meanwhile we live with the work arounds. Thanks all for suggestions, I have learned a lot to pass along to my iPad classes that I give at the local Senior Center! We Geezers love our iPads too!!

Strange. That should be a copy, and it usually works for me. I'll have to experiment and see if I can figure out what is different, or if I'm just having a bad memory day.

The Photo Stream copy should be different than the original. You can certainly delete one without affecting the other.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dag nabit.

You are right. When saving to Camera Roll from Photo stream it saves the file as a non-destructive edit, just as if you had edited in Camera Roll in the first place. It's still a copy, just a full copy of the photo and edits.

So, my recommendation is to open the photo in Photos, tap and hold for the Copy option, then open Pages and paste the photo into the document. Tap and hold in the document for the Paste option.

This works. Unlike my former suggestion I just tried it instead of relying on my less than perfect memory.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree I thought it worked but I tried it just before posting and it appeared not to.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmmm,

Apparently the copy&paste method only works if you copy from the full screen view in Photos. Copy from the thumbnail just pastes in whatever was in the clipboard last; as if the copy from photos (thumbnail view) didn't do anything at all.

Edit: I posted this before seeing your last post. Maybe I'm psychic. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The good news (for the patient) is that Apple intends to replace the Photos app with something far more powerful. The bad news is that this will 'probably' not happen until Spring at the earliest.

Though we can hope that iOS 8, this fall, will see at least a few improvements to the Photos app, I doubt they will be more than minor features and bug fixes. Apple's not going to do a major overhaul of product they are planing on replacing.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Further fascination: Crop a photo in photo stream, save in camera roll. now paste to Pages and you get the full photo but past into Notability and you get the cropped photo. Pages needs the next Beta I guess :)

Most reactions

Latest posts