What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF annotation app

LisaNewbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a good app for my iPad for reading and annotating scnientific papers. It should at least have the following properties:

1. dropbox integration or another possibility to exchange files easily with my desktop (also for folders with many files so one by one transfering is not desirable)

2. possibility to mark text by freehand (rather than selecting the text you will mark - too much of a hassle)

3. possibility to easily set color and thickness of pen and marker before (not after) writing/marking

I have tried UPad but it failed for number 1. I have also tried goodreader but it failed for number 2 and 3.

Does anyone know the right application for me? Thank you very much!

Misho73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did that homework 2 days ago. And reached to a conclusion which is iAnnotate is the best choice. It does all what u need plus it has a unique and exclusive ability to convert docs, ppt and other documents types to PDF so u can annotate them too.
Great app

amac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my vote is for iannotate

I too have put in way too many hours researching these apps. I'm a grad student, so I'm going through a lot of papers and books. I tried anything I could find that was free, but nothing was functional enough. I bought noterize, but was then disappointed to find out that the way noterize saves files removes the metadata, making it useless to be able to work on the desktop as well. I then bought iannotate, which I am so far fairly happy with. It meets all of your criteria. My only little complaint is the that the height of the tool bar that pops up when you add a note, bookmark, etc. is too big and unnecessary. But it's really a minor annoyance now that I've been using it for a few months. Just be careful with large files--like a textbook. It will crash the program, so I've had to partition larger files to keep it working smoothly.

Most reactions

Latest posts