What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC user's first week with IPAD

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

• I've been a PC user for some 20 years approx .
  • This is my first week with an iPad.
  • Here is what I see as the positives and challenges. I'm sure this is a limited view, but that is what this post is about
  • It would be great IF someone posts the positives I've missed and how I can avoid negatives
Positives

1. Light weight
  2. Good display + clarity + low glare - highlighted by iPad specific apps. probably Ipad specific apps enhance viewing pleasure in some areas - interactive graphs, video etc.
  3. Long battery life [longer than most PCs]

Challenges

1. Keyboard - No arrows, No fifth row on top, ...many more problems with the standard keyboard. Most special kepboards are only IF you jail beak
  2. Can't use open office [files gone], can't use most free software (a big negative ??), can't use more standard browsers [bookmarks, history gone...]
  3. Native safari browser on IPad - below par
  4. Anything meaningful seems to need an app - (a) could be costly, (b) could be uncertain as most apps don't seem to have refund policies
  5. Limited pop e mail support - space limitations while trying to use the E mail app (default app at that comes with Ipad)
  6. Don't know how to move files from PC to Ipad
  7. Haven't seen good virus checkers so far
  8. Can't see easy ways to connect an USB (without more hardware)
  9. Camera is so ..so
  10. Speakers are / audio is so .. so [well a little better than so .. so .. !]
  11. Rather costly for the overall facilities

what next ... ?

1. Learn more ... spend more time ?, spend more money ?
  2. Jailbreak IF and when possible ?
  3. IF there exists a way out, move to windows based tablets ?

Conclusion :

• Probably I'm too old !! ;-)
  • Probably I don't have the time and energy to learn more !! ??
  • I'm also amazed that M$ and Windows based manufacturers have not come in charging with good windows based tablets to cater to the users who think the windows way (files, free software, gadgets etc...)

TIA for all your comments

Regards
subu

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I too am a staunt pc user of well over 25 years. Give me windows over mac osx any day. But, iOS is a different matter.

This is my first iPad too, but switching to the more 'closed' and 'in house' environment of Apple is a choice you make when spending all that money in the first place.
And it takes some getting used to. It is considerably different than the open environment windows/android offers you.
Personally, I love it. I like the more restricted and uniformed work flow compared to the non standardness of open source all these years.

It's well worth striving with and getting used to I think :) but to address some of your issues.......... (the following comments are for the ipad2 which is not able to JB. If you're on an ipad1 you can JB it and have a much more 'open sourced' environment )

1) can't yet JB the ipad2, so you're stuck with what you see. And as mentioned, you quickly get used to the keyboard the more you use it. It'll soon become second nature. Alternatively, you can purchase an external blue tooth keyboard that gives numerous more standard keys and functions.

2) it isn't open source, you can only use apps in the apps store or those provided by Apple. I use my open office files for my business on a daily bases on my iPad using apps like 'office2 HD' or 'docs2go' or Apple's own 'numbers' or 'pages' etc etc. Yes they cost literally a few small bucks, but so what? They won't break the bank.

3) agreed. But safari is due for a nice upgrade in the next iOS download in a month or 3. But why not try an alternative browser like 'atomic' etc for exampe?

4) yes, you generally need an app to do things, which generally cost. And they all generally are very cheap. Costs really don't add up. But this is the nature of the iPad and app store. You get used to it. And you can a refund on anything you don't like. Just contact Apple, they're good like that.

5) again, update is imminent on default email app. You can always use a web based one. I do with no issues.

6) iTunes. Convert your movie into Apple compatibility, ie, MOV, MP4 etc, then transfer via iTunes. Easy.

7) simply not needed. iOS is virus free.

8) there isn't an easy way. This can't be done. Again, this is where research on your side is required into exactly what you're buying before you buy.

9) true. Camera very low res. We live with it. It's great for skype and video phoning, and used intelligently, you can get nice photos from it, albeit smallish.

10) speaker is fine for personal stuff, but if you want better just plug in or blue tooth to a stereo system. Or hdmi to something.

11) again, nature of the beast. This is something you should have researched.

It's definitely worth a punt and sticking with it in my opinion. Like it or not, Apples market and usage share of the market is a massive majority, this must say something.

Last edited:
OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like it or not, Apples market and usage share of the market is a massive majority, this must say something.

that's what surprised me all along when I use this tablet and the fact that M$ & HP & Dell & Co did not realise this market existed ... and approx 14 months after the tablet concept came to be, they haven't caught up ...

hmm....

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ipad.subu, Like you, I'm a stout windows guy and an old one at that. But, we need to think oustide the box at times and try something different. I'm intrigued by this devise and found ways to do almost everything I do on my work PC and home PC, you just need to find the apps and you'll be amazed what this devise will do.

I went with the iPad over the others because they lead the pack and I wanted a device which had many options and support such as this site.

Just site down and plug away with your iPad and you'll be amazed on what you learn.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read your post with interest and in particular the ‘challenges’ section. I’ve been with Apple products since 1984 and I also used DOS and windows (though still DOS) and I see value in both. As for the iPad I feel its important to consider what the iPad isn’t and also what it is. Future iPads will mature into full-featured computing machines in the not so distant future. Oh yeah, I'm also old.

Last edited:

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
  1. Don't know how to move files from PC to Ipad
DropBox is one option. Also FileBrowser can browse windows file shares.
DropBox is free. FileBrowser is $5 (or it was when I bought it). I use both as well as iTunes.

1. Can't see easy ways to connect an USB (without more hardware)
The camera connection kit and USBDisk (App) is a good combination. Yes it is extra hardware (cost me $25 for a Chinese knockoff).

1. Speakers are / audio is so .. so [well a little better than so .. so .. !]
The speakers are pretty good when you consider what they are connected to.

1. Rather costly for the overall facilities
True when compared to a netbook but not when compared to the Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1 etc.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read your post with interest and in particular the ‘challenges’ section. I’ve been with Apple products since 1984 and I also used DOS and windows (though still DOS) and I see value in both. As for the iPad I feel its important to consider what the iPad isn’t and also what it is. Future iPads will mature into full-featured computing machines in the not so distant future. Oh yeah, I'm also old.

Another long-time techie geezer here. And I, too, have had to adapt to the (somewhat bizarre) philosophy that underlies the iPad. It's more like a giant iPod Touch than a small Mac with all that that implies.

That's not a criticism. I happen to agree with the OP's comments and could even add some of my own. (Try setting up a separate account on the iPad for a second user.) But that's because the entire philosophy of the iPad is radically different from the model that structures a user's computer experience.

Apple believes, rightly or wrongly, for example, that an iPad user has no business managing a file system. That's the job of applications that use those files. It's a frustration for those of us accustomed to using a personal computer, but Apple believes it's an advantage for most consumers. And I suspect they're correct.

Frankly, I doubt that iPads will "mature into full featured computing machines." At least not in a time frame that matters. Rather, I suspect that ultraportable laptops will add tablet interfaces that mimic some of the central features of the iPad. (See the Lenovo X220t for one early example.)

I've found the iPad to be a very useful addition to my set of computing devices. It has reduced my need for a highly capable (and large) smartphone and virtually replaced the netbook I used for airline travel. But it hasn't eliminated my need for a larger, heavier laptop that functions as a desktop replacement on the road. I can use the iPad in a pinch (with appropriate apps) to edit Microsoft Office documents, but not without bugs in huge spreadsheets or presentations. (Documents to Go is a great set of apps, but beware of assuming that any and all "excel compatible" spreadsheets can be moved from one environment to another without problems.) And with imaginative use of "cloud computing," I can manage large sets of documents produced on my desktop, laptop, or iPad. But it's hardly seamless or simple to do so.

In short, as noted in another thread from a few weeks ago, those who come to the iPad from a iPhone or other cutting edge smartphone will probably find it to be a great extension of that functionality. Those of us who thought we were getting a smaller, lighter personal computer find we have to adjust our expectations.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am also a new user of IPad and apple products. In my mind, the file management system is THE major disappointment. Yes, one can use iTunes for some files. I also use a couple of other apps for different types. Even still, one cannot load a single file and access it from a variety of apps. You must somehow associate each file with an app as you load them and then must remember which app that was.

Adding a windows explorer, or "finder" window must happen or I will not remain loyal to the iOS platform and consider other options when the time comes. Until then, I will use it and enjoy it. There are a lot of positives about this device.

Lenc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the ipad so I don't have to deal with a Windows based devise again. :D

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also a new user of IPad and apple products. In my mind, the file management system is THE major disappointment. Yes, one can use iTunes for some files. I also use a couple of other apps for different types. Even still, one cannot load a single file and access it from a variety of apps. You must somehow associate each file with an app as you load them and then must remember which app that was.

Adding a windows explorer, or "finder" window must happen or I will not remain loyal to the iOS platform and consider other options when the time comes. Until then, I will use it and enjoy it. There are a lot of positives about this device.
As a Windows user since Windows 3.3, and before that DOS and before that CP/M and TPM, this is my first Apple purchase.

Over all I'm pleased with it, but the quote above pretty well sums up my feelings. However, from what little I do understand about Apple, we will never (at least not in the foreseeable future) get a true 'file management system' for the iPad. I guess I just have to learn to live with that and learn other ways of getting things done.

I do miss being able to simply copy a file across then choose myself what application to open it with.

Another limitation that frustrated me was not being able to simply enter the IP of my network attached printer so that I could print to it from the iPad. By chance the three colour toners of my LaserJet need to be replaced so I simply purchased a new HP OfficeJet printer with AirPrint that cost less than the three colour toners. I'd rather have stuck with my LaserJet but this is a workable alternative I can live with.

What do I like best? The fact that I can pick it up, touch the home key, enter my 4-digit password, tap Atomic, and I'm in my browser in less than 10 seconds! When I compare that to the time it takes on my Asus Netbook the iPad is a hands-down winner!

The only major problem for me is syncing everything, contacts, calendar, and notes, with my Nokia N8, Google on line, and Windows Outlook 2003. Some things don't sync correctly, others produce duplicates for unknown reasons, it's a real pain! I'm getting to the point of thinking my next phone will be an iPhone 5 and I'll just forget about Outlook altogether and use the new iCloud syncing.

OP
I

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Another long-time techie geezer here.

I've found the iPad to be a very useful addition to my set of computing devices. It has reduced my need for a highly capable (and large) smartphone and virtually replaced the netbook I used for airline travel. But it hasn't eliminated my need for a larger, heavier laptop that functions as a desktop replacement on the road. I can use the iPad in a pinch (with appropriate apps) to edit Microsoft Office documents, but not without bugs in huge spreadsheets or presentations. (Documents to Go is a great set of apps, but beware of assuming that any and all "excel compatible" spreadsheets can be moved from one environment to another without problems.) And with imaginative use of "cloud computing," I can manage large sets of documents produced on my desktop, laptop, or iPad. But it's hardly seamless or simple to do so........

Hi

Tks for the detailed post.

Could u Pl help me with these specifics . Tia for ur help.

A. What apps , methods, tips , tricks to manage Windows files on iPad
.. How do you get them to iPad
.. How , what apps to a mange them on iPad .... The file management ... Example how to copy a file, how to rename one, how to open three files and link them to others ..sp sheets specifically,.... Etc ...

B. What free or paid apps are best for Spread sheet, document, presentations ... Level of use ... Date, arithmetic functions, limited vba

C. What browser do you use ? ....( I recall there were couple of earlier replies on this ... I ll check all, still would appreciate your replies)

D. What apps for HTml editing ..HTML typing example creating blogs with HTML

E. How to add storage ?

F. How do you get some of the common control keys or short cut keys of windows... Like control c for copy, control v for paste, control home foet top, control end for Enid of page and so on ...

Thanks
Regards
Subu

Last edited:

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Splashtop onto my iPad from the app store. It lets you remotely control your PC from your iPad. It's a very good way to transition, so that you aren't missing any of the amenities of windows.

Outside of games, I have spent about a hundred dollars for a Bluetooth keyboard, and another hundred on work apps (just rough estimates). So for about 1200 bucks, I have a device that does 99% of what I used my Toshiba netbook for (even flash!), a few things it didn't, and has a touch screen and ten hour battery life.

For almost ALL of the things you would want to do on a PC, there are workarounds of various levels of success. Feel free to bug me if you have any issues specifically...I've been there. :)

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought the ipad so I don't have to deal with a Windows based devise again. :D

The lack of a file management system is not a windows vs osx issue. I consider this a shortcoming regardless of whether one uses a pc, Mac, or other.

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you have to realise is that the iPad was never designed to replace your desktop computer.
It can replace it in some ways, but you couldn't live with just an iPad.
I personally see the iPad as more of an entertainment and educational platform rather than one I can use for work.
Pages, numbers and keynote work well, but they are not as good as Microsoft office.
I'm a mac user, but would never use anything other than Microsoft when it comes to office based work.

In the app store visit the top chart section and there is a drop down category menu, tap 'productivity' and you will get a list of the most popular apps, paid and free of the type you are looking for.

Reaction score
Hi

• I've been a PC user for some 20 years approx .
  • This is my first week with an iPad.
  • Here is what I see as the positives and challenges. I'm sure this is a limited view, but that is what this post is about
  • It would be great IF someone posts the positives I've missed and how I can avoid negatives
Positives

1. Light weight
  2. Good display + clarity + low glare - highlighted by iPad specific apps. probably Ipad specific apps enhance viewing pleasure in some areas - interactive graphs, video etc.
  3. Long battery life [longer than most PCs]

Challenges

1. Keyboard - No arrows, No fifth row on top, ...many more problems with the standard keyboard. Most special kepboards are only IF you jail beak
  2. Can't use open office [files gone], can't use most free software (a big negative ??), can't use more standard browsers [bookmarks, history gone...]
  3. Native safari browser on IPad - below par
  4. Anything meaningful seems to need an app - (a) could be costly, (b) could be uncertain as most apps don't seem to have refund policies
  5. Limited pop e mail support - space limitations while trying to use the E mail app (default app at that comes with Ipad)
  6. Don't know how to move files from PC to Ipad
  7. Haven't seen good virus checkers so far
  8. Can't see easy ways to connect an USB (without more hardware)
  9. Camera is so ..so
  10. Speakers are / audio is so .. so [well a little better than so .. so .. !]
  11. Rather costly for the overall facilities

what next ... ?

1. Learn more ... spend more time ?, spend more money ?
  2. Jailbreak IF and when possible ?
  3. IF there exists a way out, move to windows based tablets ?

Conclusion :

• Probably I'm too old !! ;-)
  • Probably I don't have the time and energy to learn more !! ??
  • I'm also amazed that M$ and Windows based manufacturers have not come in charging with good windows based tablets to cater to the users who think the windows way (files, free software, gadgets etc...)

TIA for all your comments

Regards
subu

Get Splashtop, manipulate your desktop from your Ipad and it comes with a much better keyboard than the Ipad one.
Depending on if it's on sale it is from .99- $9.99 but it's almost always on sale. After that there will only be things you want to buy to enhance your Ipad, none that you need to enhance it.
Welcome to the forum

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Most reactions

Latest posts