What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs PC and Kindle

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just found this interesting. Particularly the part where half the iPad owners also have a Windows based computer. Article from Barron's Online.....

Apple: iPad Only Slightly Cannibalizing PC Sales, NPD Contends

Posted by Eric Savitz

Contrary to popular belief, the Apple (AAPL) iPad isn’t seriously cannibalizing the PC market, according to a new report from research firm NPD Group.

According to the report, only 13% of iPad owners surveyed bought an iPad instead of a PC, while 24% replaced a planned e-reader purchase.That suggests the device is more a threat to the Amazon (AMZN) Kindle than it is to Dell or HP.

NPD also notes that iPad owners, expecially those who bought one within two months of launch, are significantly more likely than other consumers to own Apple products, e-readers and smart phones.

NPD finds that 48% of iPad owners also own a Mac desktop or notebook computer, which compares to the 11% of U.S. households who owned a Mac in a previous NPD study earlier this year. Just 53% of iPad owners also have a Windows-based computer, compared with 75% of total households. About 38% of iPad owners also own an iPhone.

“Early adopters, like iPad owners, follow a traditional pattern of consumer behavior; they purchase products because they want them, not because they need them,†NPD analyst Stephen Baker said in a statement. “However, as Apple increases iPad distribution and consumer interest peaks, the profile of an iPad owner is much more likely to mirror the overall tech population. When that does happen other tech products with similar usage profiles as the iPad, such as notebooks, netbooks, and e-readers will come under increased pressure from the iPad. Until then, however, most iPad sales are likely to be incremental additional technology devices in the home, rather than a one-for-one replacement of a planned purchase.â€

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not surprising at all. The iPad isnt taking out of some other market, its part of an emerging new market.

OP
K

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One quarter saw it as a electronic reader replacement....I wouldn't have guessed it to be that high.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am a hardcore windows user. i own a kindle and i will soon own an iPAD.
windows = work
kindle = book reading (no eye strain!)
iPAD = work on the road + magazines + games

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I agree it is mostly a new market. A ereaders and tablets are both growing, so even if they canabalize one another they will both increase for a while. They are really different markets with some overlap. But that small overlap will be the area of canabalization for the short term.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree it is mostly a new market. A ereaders and tablets are both growing, so even if they canabalize one another they will both increase for a while. They are really different markets with some overlap. But that small overlap will be the area of canabalization for the short term.
i doubt that e-readers and ipads will cannibilize each other that much. it is like comparing apples and oranges. ipad is a Jack of all trades while Kindle is a specilized device. iPads will not canniblize kindles for the same reason that iPads will not cannibalize Desktops/Laptops. of course there will be people reading iBooks on iPAD but once you see e-ink you never want to read on anything else. there is actually some reasearch now into making screens that can switch between e-ink and regular kind. if e-ink is included on iPAD it would then have a serious possibility on competing. however pricewise iPAD=499 and kindle 139, also kindle is 10 ounces while iPad ~1lb. i doubt that with such specs and price Amazon will ever have to worry that much.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can read library books with nook but not kindle (although this is about to change)
Not until or unless the OverDrive system (that almost every library that I know of uses to check out books in electronic format) stops using Adobe Digital Editions (which is Flash-based).

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
I own a netbook, iPad and a Kindle... purchased in that order. There is some overlap of their capabilities, to be sure, but each fills its own niche and each is inexpensive enough that I justified purchasing each.

For reading, an ebook reader is far better than an iPad, but sometimes you don't want to take multiple devices with you. (Kindle has a great iPhone/iPad app anyway! The book I'm currently reading, I've read it on my Kindle, iPad and iPhone 4.)

If I had to choose to own only one of these devices, I'd probably just have a netbook, but I don't have to choose.

nytngale

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a laptop, net book, kindle, iPod and iPad. I now pretty much use just my iPad. The kindle app works great and I don't notice any eyestrain - I read a lot (sometimes 2 or 3 books on a rainy weekend). Love the fact that I now have a multipurpose device - no more dragging around 2 or 3 items when I commute or travel.

Most reactions

Latest posts