What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paying for 3G service

vtwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to use an itunes prepaid card to pay for the AT&T 3G service? I do not want to put my creditcard number out there in order to sign up for 3g service? Thoughts?????

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
itunes has nothing to do with the 3g service. So that's a no.. you might be able to use a Visa gift card as your card of choice for 3g. This is something you're buying from a 3g provider IE ATT

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I Would Suggest You Get A Low Credit Line

Credit Card that you dedicate solely for your IPad use. This might not be doable for you. But I too have the same concern about credit cards and internet commerce. Everytime I buy something via ITunes or re-up my 3G subscription with AT&T, I can review the credit card's statement immediately. I asked my credit card issuer to have a card limit of $500.00 so if somehow my IPad is hacked and someone steals my credit card information, it is this card and only this card that would be impacted.

That is my solution. Sort of like insurance.

I would say, however, in all the years that I have participated in internet commerce, I have never, ever found my credit card compromised. I have a greater chance of getting my credit card compromised in person at a restaurant than I would on the internet. I like the way western European restaurants do credit cards, they have hand held credit card processors and they swipe the card in front of you, hand you the receipt for your signature without your credit card leaving your sight. I wish they would adopt this same process in the USA.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually had my credit card compromised directly after an iTunes purchase (within 24hrs). They racked up $600 of online purchases I had the physical card in hand, after some detective work, found the thiefs ip was from Texas, i'm in CA, so yeah. I got a prize in the mail of a girls gone wild video. About a month later, same thing happened to my friend, including purchase from iTunes, ggw video. To us definitely iTunes related, we use gift cards only for iTunes now. However, I continue with dedicated card for other internet purchases. Just saying, yeah it does happen. Would be nice to have some prepay cards we could use for 3G service

iPadMomma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had my credit card compromised but don't forget that you're going through AT&T, not Itunes. Somebody suggested using giftcards for iTunes which isn't a bad idea. IF you happen to belong to a wholesale club in the US you can also get them for less.

Most reactions

Latest posts