What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

padphone

wallacejj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to use my I pad as a Phone I use the phone so little that it would not bother me to get rid of my cell phone and possibly save money- thanks

irvineaggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. Download Skype. It's super easy. Follow the skype directions and it works flawlessly. Plus, if you call overseas, the charge is about 2 cents per minute.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing to remember is that none of these phone apps work unless you have an Internet connection. Even if you have a 3g version, data is data is data and phone calls can eat away your allotment. If you have WiFi in your house (any why wouldn't you?), you're golden.

You might want to wait until iOS4 comes out with multi-tasking. As it stands now, a phone app (and I use Whistle mainly because it is free!) will only run when it is on which means that if you are waiting for a phone call or are making a phone call, you can't do anything else with your iPad. Once the new software comes out (this Fall??), you will be able to open more than one app at a time.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype is O.K. On the iPad but a lot better on a laptop. Most headsets will work with the camera kit. And as someone stated, Skype is a data hog,,, it's more a novelty thing, it gets old pretty quick

terrypin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But presumably that limits you to talking only to someone else using Skype? A very tiny proportion of contacts. And not much use for that rare emergency call!

Naive question (I'm a complete iPad rookie): is there any hope of a plug-in (smaller than any current mobile 'phone) that would allow normal outgoing/incoming calls?

Come to that, what's the chance of a future iPad with in-built phone? Is it simply a marketing issue of damaging iPhone revenues?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing to remember is that none of these phone apps work unless you have an Internet connection. Even if you have a 3g version, data is data is data and phone calls can eat away your allotment. If you have WiFi in your house (any why wouldn't you?), you're golden.

You might want to wait until iOS4 comes out with multi-tasking. As it stands now, a phone app (and I use Whistle mainly because it is free!) will only run when it is on which means that if you are waiting for a phone call or are making a phone call, you can't do anything else with your iPad. Once the new software comes out (this Fall??), you will be able to open more than one app at a time.
iSip will respond to push notifications which will cause it to ring even if your iPad is in sleep mode or the app isn't running. I use iSip ($4.99 I think) and a gizmo5 account I got on ebay for $7. I also have a google voice account that I plan on using to help limit the outgoing call rates by "calling out" on it and having it "call" the gizmo5 account to connect. That should be an incoming call to gizmo5 account and not get charged. But I am sure it doesn't matter much since I have a cell phone. Mostly I'm just doing it because I can :)

I also have a whistle account and like it too for how much I'd use this thing as a phone.

But presumably that limits you to talking only to someone else using Skype? A very tiny proportion of contacts. And not much use for that rare emergency call!

Naive question (I'm a complete iPad rookie): is there any hope of a plug-in (smaller than any current mobile 'phone) that would allow normal outgoing/incoming calls?

Come to that, what's the chance of a future iPad with in-built phone? Is it simply a marketing issue of damaging iPhone revenues?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
I doubt iPad would ever get phone hardware (and I believe it would require more hardware) installed in it. Since it is possible to make calls with skype/iSip/Others, it isn't a real priority. Just my thoughts.

Chris

Most reactions

Latest posts