What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phone app for ipad

cynthia516

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone found an app for the iPad that actually works like a phone? I would really like to get rid of all of our company cell phones, but skype, , voodoo and the like are cumbersome. Also, the data plans with AT&T are $30.00 every 2 gb. Any suggestions?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know of two apps that can act like phones: Whistle and Talkatone. When you sign up with Whistle, you get your own phone number, while Talkatone uses your Google Talk number (that you make if you don't have one). They work like a regular phone, in that you can dial other cell phones or landlines. You are not restricted to the part where the person you are calling has to also have the same app or program (such as Skype).

They work well for "in a pinch" calls - but, IMNSHO, I wouldn't rely on them for your only phone usage outside your home. YMMV.

Have a look in the App Store, I am sure there are more apps that will allow you to pretend your iPad is a phone. These are the only two I knew of off the top of my head.

Good luck in your search.

Marilyn

tglaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Talkatone and it works well. You can use the number that they assign or change to a local number like I did. The app also imports my contact list. You have voice mail and can record a custom greeting.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Or you could use the excuse that since your people now have iPads for their mobile online needs, they only need very basic cell phones with basic services.

I actually considered this plan, and consider it a viable solution, but I got hooked on my iPhone. ;)

Most reactions