What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outlook web access - internet explorer

Arniep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I access my outlook work mailbox at home by using Internet explorer in windows and going to my web based outlook box. I can do it on safari, but the functionality is very limited. I tried downloading an app that says it emulates Internet explorer, but it didn't work right. Is there any app anyone knows of that would give me the functionality of Internet explorer for my web based outlook? Thanks

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an app called the Atomic browser and it costs a whopping 99¢! With it, you can emulate any of the Safari browsers, Firefox or IE6, 7 or 8. My work also uses the web-based Outlook mail system and this browser does work.

OP
A

Arniep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I downloaded the app, but I don't see any difference between what it is allowing me to do vs. Safari. How do I get it to emulate explorer?

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both iCab and Atomic are rated very well. For either you need to go into the settings.

Atomic: Select the gear icon next to the http pane and select "Settings". Find mid-way in Settings "Identify Browser As" and choose one, hopefully it'll give the same functionality.

If this fails to work then most likely the failure is due to a limitation with the iPad and it's browser capabilities. I have yet run into any issues with Atomic emulating IE or Firefox though so I;m sure it should work.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EDIT: I was typing this at the same time as lumberjak and he got there first!

Open the browser and click on the Settings icon (The thing that looks like a little gear just to the left of the URL entry box). This will bring up a box with the various settings. Select the bottom one that, oddly enough, says Settings. At the bottom of the top box, select the Identify Browser As option and this will bring up another screen. Tap the last line that says Internet Explorer 8 then tap Settings in the upper left corner of the screen the Close in the upper right corner of the next screen.

Clear as mud, eh?

Ipadconvert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Atomic web opening pda's

Both iCab and Atomic are rated very well. For either you need to go into the settings.

Atomic: Select the gear icon next to the http pane and select "Settings". Find mid-way in Settings "Identify Browser As" and choose one, hopefully it'll give the same functionality.

If this fails to work then most likely the failure is due to a limitation with the iPad and it's browser capabilities. I have yet run into any issues with Atomic emulating IE or Firefox though so I;m sure it should work.

Thanks it works! Got me into a site I can only access from IE. I can not get it to open PDA s though, any ideas?
Thanks,

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
curious, what is it that you could not do in safari? I have no issues - but I do tend to use exchange mail more these days

ipfmike

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There's always so much great info on this forum.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks it works! Got me into a site I can only access from IE. I can not get it to open PDA s though, any ideas?
Thanks,

I'm guessing you meant PDFs? Does your work have restrictions? I can access work OWA from home too, but we cannot open up attachments on the web client ever, even in IE.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to be clear, there are a number of features to OWA that only work with an actual Internet Explorer. Of course, because Microsoft likes putting in proprietary features. Therefore even if you identify the browser as IE those features will not work. If you are used to using OWA with Chrome, Safari or Firefox on the desktop then you may not be aware of these features.

Still, the iPad browsers give sufficient capability to use OWA for most of your needs.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why can't you set up the mail to work as exchange ( see the mail setup on the ipad). I do that from my iPAD and have access to my outlook mail at work. Works great.

iRookie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded Atomic and I love it as a browser. The tabs alone are worth the price of admission. But even when I change "identify browser" as IE 8, I can't get Outlook to work. The full version of Outlook rather than just the light version shows up, but nothing works.....can't open an email, go to calendar or even log off. My employer restricts enterprise acces to our browser from anything other than a work-provided device, but I thought that wouldn't matter in trying to access the web version

Anyone have any ad ice for me?

Most reactions