What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outlook web access - internet explorer

SoxFan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Outlook Web Access on Ipad

Outlook Web Access on Ipad
I spent hours last night trying to get mine to work. I downloaded Atomic Browser and paid the .99 cents. I still could not get OWA to open anything in my email window. It was just stuck. I could do nothing but look at it!

I then read another post here and followed that advice. Just go to Settings - Mail - on your Ipad and ADD another mail account. There is an option for Microsoft Outlook Web Access. Follow the prompts and it authorizes your OWA account and you're in! I work for a government agency with high security and had no problems.

Voila ! Works like a charm. Just like I'm looking at my desktop. The only little drawback is that you need to enter a passcode because you are automatically logged into your email. My AOL mail and OWA mail are in the same window and I just toggle between them both. Very simple.

Atomic Web Browser solved many other issue for me on my work website however. Very much worth the .99 IMHO !

Patty

paul1956

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Arniep,

Why not just set-up an Exchange Account on the settings page for your Outlook mail. It took less than two minutes to set-up and now I have access to my Outlook email and calendar. Highly recommended!

mwarren19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help with a website

Thanks for the tips guys, i am trying to us the website lomanet.org and I can't get it to work, can someone try this site to see if it will work on their iPad using atomic. I appreciate it as I need to access this site for a class I an taking. Thanks

RolySJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does Atomic let you sync your Outlook Web Access calendar?

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it's just a browser, not a mail/calendar client. IF you have OWA, you should be able to get the iPad email client to work. Just go to Settings, then Mail, Contacts & Calendar and setup an "Exchange Account" Enter your email address, domain, owa server name (example: owa.MyCompanyDomain.com) and your password. It should sync up.

I have in the past, had to turn the SSL option off, then on again to get this to work the first time, but SSL should be turn on and it should go. IF it dosen't, recheck your setting entries and turn the SSL option off, then on again.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
curious, what is it that you could not do in safari? I have no issues - but I do tend to use exchange mail more these days

EDIT: Oops, this reply is not actually relevant. I am obviously referring to Hotmail not OWA. No flames please, I have a very fragile ego:).

The problem was probably that that Safari looks like a mobile browser to Hotmail and you get redirected to a mobile URL. The functionality and the menus are quite different and not alll features seem to be availabe. In particular, your log in details never get saved. There is a link at the bottom of the page to the "normal" PC site and it seems to function quite normally.

I actually use the iPad mail client with an Exchange account these days to access Hotmail (and Gmail for that matter).

Last edited:

ctthorne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both iCab and Atomic are rated very well. For either you need to go into the settings.

Atomic: Select the gear icon next to the http pane and select "Settings". Find mid-way in Settings "Identify Browser As" and choose one, hopefully it'll give the same functionality.

If this fails to work then most likely the failure is due to a limitation with the iPad and it's browser capabilities. I have yet run into any issues with Atomic emulating IE or Firefox though so I;m sure it should work.

Thanks it works! Got me into a site I can only access from IE. I can not get it to open PDA s though, any ideas?
Thanks,
Well, I am using Atomic emulating IE 8, and yes, I can now un-select the Light version, and yes, it loads the full OWA version, BUT NONE of the full version functionality works. I try to select\click on Public Folders at the bottom, and nothing happens, I try to Logoff and nothing happens.

So close yet soooo far!

My company is using Outlook Server 2007.

laurentharp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an IE 6.0 compatible-only website daily for work & can't get it to work with Atomic because there is some Flash included in the site. Any ideas to make it work??

I use Crossover for Mac to pull the reports on my MacBook Pro.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both iCab and Atomic are rated very well. For either you need to go into the settings.

Atomic: Select the gear icon next to the http pane and select "Settings". Find mid-way in Settings "Identify Browser As" and choose one, hopefully it'll give the same functionality.

If this fails to work then most likely the failure is due to a limitation with the iPad and it's browser capabilities. I have yet run into any issues with Atomic emulating IE or Firefox though so I;m sure it should work.

As you note, I believe the problem lies in the "identify browser as" setting. While the browser may "identify itself as" IE8 to the Internet Outlook application, for example, that doesn't mean that the underlying Safari browser (which is what it REALLY is) can utilize the information provided by Outlook properly. Feel free to blame Microsoft or Apple. Each will no doubt blame the other. :)

I just tried the same operation as the OP using the Atomic Browser set to IE8. Like him/her I found that the presentation on the iPad is unusable.

russellreichelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
paul1956 said:
Arniep,

Why not just set-up an Exchange Account on the settings page for your Outlook mail. It took less than two minutes to set-up and now I have access to my Outlook email and calendar. Highly recommended!

That does work well, but I can't see anywhere to toggle the flags for an outlook email if you are using the iPad mail.. Is there a particular iPad email program that will give the functionality that OWA gives?

Cheers

brchin1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,I have been doing a lot of web searching on this topic i.e. accessing webmail from ipad2 including downloading the atomic web browser and set its identity as IE. With this I was able to uncheck the "light" option and log onto my company webmail which I thought .... "finally" .... only to be disappointed a few seconds later when I get a message to say that I need to enable ActiveX control before I can continue. I tried all measures such as re-log in, restarting my ipad2 etc several times but still the same outcome. Search on the web didn't help much either. Has anyone faced a similar issue here and any advice / pointers that you can share? Thanks.

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just tried OWA using Atomic Browser set as Firefox 5 with some success. I remember my boss trying OWA with Firefox on the desktop a while back. I was able to browse the inbox and open mail. But I couldn't get that far setting the browser set to identify as IE.

I suspect there could be different versions of OWA, so your mileage may vary.

takeshi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,I have been doing a lot of web searching on this topic i.e. accessing webmail from ipad2 including downloading the atomic web browser and set its identity as IE. With this I was able to uncheck the "light" option and log onto my company webmail which I thought .... "finally" .... only to be disappointed a few seconds later when I get a message to say that I need to enable ActiveX control before I can continue. I tried all measures such as re-log in, restarting my ipad2 etc several times but still the same outcome. Search on the web didn't help much either. Has anyone faced a similar issue here and any advice / pointers that you can share? Thanks.
AFAIK ActiveX (a Microsoft product) isn't supported.

Most reactions

Latest posts