What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ottawa Hospital Orders 1,800 iPad 2s

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
smart_cover.JPG

CBC News has a report about the Ottawa Hospital in Canada ordering 1,800 iPads to use in place of traditional paper medical charts. The hospital already has 500 iPads in use, and is expecting the new batch of iPad 2s to arrive by July (good luck with that!). According to CBC News, doctors and pharmacists at the hospital are using the iPads to view patients' x-rays, make notes and prescribe medicine and treatment. One of the doctors, Dr. Glen Geiger, told CBC News that using the iPad saves time and also cuts down on paperwork. He says that he can now carry all the patient information that he requires, such as medical histories and details of allergies, in his pocket.

“I’d say what we’re going to do next. We’d discuss if you’d agree to the treatment plan, we’d order the treatment plan right then and there while we’re talking to you, instead of saying, ‘Let me go down the hall and order that treatment in a few minutes,’†Geiger told CBC News.

Dale Potter, the man responsible for suggesting the use of iPads at the hospital, says that the iPads offset their initial costs by replacing old equipment and cutting down on errors caused by hand-written orders that can often be almost illegible. Potter adds that the hospital has taken security measures to ensure that if an iPad should get stolen from the hospital, patient information would remain private as it is not stored on the iPad.

Source: 1,800 iPads ordered by Ottawa Hospital - Ottawa - CBC News

jeepdakota

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad usage at Higher Institutions

I am trying to get in touch with the gentleman who is puchasing the Ipads @Ottawa hospital, does anyone have any contact infor?

Email....etc..

Ivo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So they basically use the "notes" programme for all that ? :)

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it, scalpers!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hasty said:
Haven't they heard that android is available ?

You obviously haven't been around doctors. I have. I'm a Paramedic who has worked in the ER and on the floor as well as in the ambulance. Doctors are often brilliant people but several of them (as well as some RNs and Paramedics) are all thumbs when it comes to computers of any kind. I'm seeing more iPads in hospitals because they're just so simple to implement and use. The learning curve is low, which is great for Doctors particularly because they are too busy to spend a lot of time trying to learn how to use a device that is meant to make their charting, records reviewing and information reviewing easier.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They made decisions to test and purchase ipads I suspect turn key apps have be written to support iOS so Android not part of equation . with respect Android tablets are not there yet. I have Acer 10" android for sale 16 of them not one person has purchased in 14 days. Os is sluggish to say the least but that should improve with time. product is rough and heavier so unsure how it will sell yet request for ipads is more than one can even dream about. Problem is all back ordered. Just a comment.

BigTex71

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I doubt it. I work for a healthcare company and our doctors use iPads to VPN to the terminal servers that run the Electonic Medical Records (EMR) software. I am sure they are doing something similar.

hosshess

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I doubt it. I work for a healthcare company and our doctors use iPads to VPN to the terminal servers that run the Electonic Medical Records (EMR) software. I am sure they are doing something similar.

So my IT dept says the only reason thy can do this is that "they don't have HIPAA in Canada" and that the iPad (and iPhones as I want to have mine on the exchange server) are a risk to that. Anyone able to succinctly refute that?

Most reactions

Latest posts