What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OTA updates vs “wired?”

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
does it matter whether an iPad update is made over wifi or while connected to a mac/iTunes?
Is the upgrade just as good?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the cable method will work even if there's not enough free space on the iPad to do wifi. But I've never used anything but wifi. Both should have the same result.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
does it matter whether an iPad update is made over wifi or while connected to a mac/iTunes?
Is the upgrade just as good?

Agree w/ Lanny - I've used both methods - always do a backup before updating, either OTA or wired to iTunes (usually do both) - for minor updates, OTA is my preference if a good Wi-Fi connection is available; for a major update (i.e. number increase to the left of the decimal point as going from 11.x to 12.x), I'll usually go wired to iTunes, arguably a more reliable connection - some more information HERE (a little dated but still applicable) - BOTTOM LINE - either way has worked fine for me. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts