OT: Infuriating Problems w/ iPod Touch & 3mm Earbud Pin(s)

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by kippyw, Mar 19, 2013.

1. kippyw

kippyw iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I received this iPod Touch 3rd generation (purchased 10/2009) as a birthday gift new 3 years ago. I absolutely love the device, except for the one simple function that should be the top of the list for Apple engineers. WHY IS THE EARBUD JACK SO FAULTY? I have purchased about a dozen different earbuds ranging from the $100 Caddilac to the $4 El Cheapo and all will fail eventually, some fail on the first day. It is definitely the "female" side of this that is causing the problem. I can immediately plug the same earbuds into any other device and they work perfectly. Yesterday I even tried to connect my iPod Touch to our home stereo using the 3mm pin and now that is dead.
    I Google'd this and saw a video on cleaning the internal connections with a modified Q-tip... no improvement.
    Question: If I were to only purchase my earbuds from the Apple product line will that solve the problem? My ears are shaped so small I cannot use the standard buds, I have to use the "inside the ear' type.
  2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Using Apple earbuds shouldn't make any difference. I don't use Apple earbuds with any of my iDevices, but all my 3.5mm earbuds and earphones have worked fine. I throw all the original Apple earbuds in a glovebox or work drawer, in case I ever need earbuds in a pinch, but have yet to need them.
  3. kippyw

kippyw iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    OK... Then maybe a solution would be to purchase a pair of bluetooth earbuds as a work-around. I hate when such minor things in life cause a major irritation. Somedays I'll be halfway through my workout and the earbuds will start acting up. Grrrrrrrrrr
  4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    That would probably work. Does your iPod support BT?
  5. kippyw

kippyw iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yes, I can play it through the BT auto stereo in my when I want to.