What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organizing Photos

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a better way to do this than to do it on my PC and then sync back to my iPad? For example on my IPP I have probably 50 folders of photos and my camera roll and Facebook folder get bombarded with photos that I want to add to some of these current folders. However if I select some photos and attempt to move them I have to create a new folder and i don’t want to do that very often.

Can i move photos from 1 folder to another on my ipad?

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
What apps on your iPad and PC do you use? Do you use iCloud storage for your photos? To be honest I find working with file organisation on my Mac easier than on my iPad, but that may change with the drag and drop functionality that's coming with iOS 11

OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just use the photos app on my iPad and I’m on IOS 11 beta. I use OneDrive for cloud storage because of 100GB for free. I only have 5GB with iCloud. As far as my PC I just use file manager to copy/paste or in this case move photos from one folder to another and then sync the iPad again.

Will that work or if I bump up my storage on iCloud can I do it on my iPad?

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
Can i move photos from 1 folder to another on my ipad?

You can add individual or multiple photos to existing albums in the Photos app on iOS. Find the photos you wish to move, click 'Select' and the tap the photos you wish to move. Finally click 'Add to' and select the Appropriate album.

OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can add individual or multiple photos to existing albums in the Photos app on iOS. Find the photos you wish to move, click 'Select' and the tap the photos you wish to move. Finally click 'Add to' and select the Appropriate album.

Not working for me. The only choice I have is New Album as all my others are grayed out and nothing happens when I tap them.

IMG_0116.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Gayed out albums are typically the ones automatically created by Photos for specific catagories of photos: Bursts, panoramics, videos, etc. You can't add photos to these albums manually.

Any album you create yourself should work fine.

You can either create an ablum they way you said, by selecting photso and creating it, or by going to the Albums tab and tapping the + icon at the top left of the screen. Once an album has been created, you should be able to add new photos to it by selecting them, then using the Add To button at the top.

I'm on the public beta of iOS 11, and this is how it works, pretty much the same way it did on iOS 10.

IMG_2486.jpg

OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry so needy gents.... but 1 more thing. I turned on iCloud Photo and all my photos were removed from my iPad as photos are not controlled by iTunes sync any longer. So how do I get them back on my iPad?

OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Might have just figured it out. I just drug my entire photos folder over to the upload icon under the iCloud Photos folder in windows explorer. It appears to be copying now so hopefully this will get it.

OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Might have just figured it out. I just drug my entire photos folder over to the upload icon under the iCloud Photos folder in windows explorer. It appears to be copying now so hopefully this will get it.

Oh well this is over my head! I guess I’ll have to turn off the iCloud storage for my photos as I can’t figure out how to get them back on my iPad. This is probably an IOS 11 issue.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have many photos, iCloud might need quite a bit of time to get them to your iPad.

It's not a problem with iOS 11, imo. I have the Public beta version installed on my iPad Pro 12.9, 1st generation, and it’s working without hiccups. On the contrary:
On the iPad with iOS 10 installed, I can’t add images to two certain shared albums, whereas there are no problems at all when I do that with the device with iOS 11 installed.

Is iCloud Photo Library set up on your computer?
With a PC, you'll have to follow these instructions:
Set up and use iCloud Photo Library on your Windows PC

OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have many photos, iCloud might need quite a bit of time to get them to your iPad.

It's not a problem with iOS 11, imo. I have the Public beta version installed on my iPad Pro 12.9, 1st generation, and it’s working without hiccups. On the contrary:
On the iPad with iOS 10 installed, I can’t add images to two certain shared albums, whereas there are no problems at all when I do that with the device with iOS 11 installed.

Is iCloud Photo Library set up on your computer?
With a PC, you'll have to follow these instructions:
Set up and use iCloud Photo Library on your Windows PC

Maybe 2500 photos. I guess I’ll try it again and give it 2-3 hours. I hate that the upload process doesn’t give you any kind of status indicator that I could see anyway. Sorry but Apple really doesn’t make this easy!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Maybe 2500 photos. I guess I’ll try it again and give it 2-3 hours. I hate that the upload process doesn’t give you any kind of status indicator that I could see anyway. Sorry but Apple really doesn’t make this easy!

Upload/Download status is at the bottom of the Photos tab.

IMG_2489.jpg

OP
Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’ve seen that one but I was referring to the one when uploading To iCloud on my PC. Nothing happens so I’m just guessing as to when it is done :D

I did click on the storage button every couple hours and see the number creep up and it seems stable this morning so I believe it is done on the PC.

So all my photos are on the cloud and my iPad but I don’t have it setup correctly on my iPad because when I sync I can pick and choose what folders thru iTunes for my photos.

I want all new photos I take to get uploaded to the cloud, all new screenshots, and all new Facebook images that I save to my library (I have 2 grandkids). How do I set this up on my iPad/PC?

Thanks again everybody for pulling me thru this!

Most reactions

Latest posts