What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
French Revolutionaries Storm the Bastille July 14, 1789!

Today in 1789, the Bastille fell initiating the French Revolution and the end of the monarchy - in 1793, Louis XVI first and a number of months later, his wife, Marie Antionette were put to death by the guillotine - this was followed by the rise of Napoleon Bonaparte, leading to the Napoleonic Wars until his empire collapsed in 1815 at the Battle of Waterloo. Dave :)

Parisian revolutionaries and mutinous troops storm and dismantle the Bastille, a royal fortress and prison that symbolized the tyranny of the Bourbon monarchs. This dramatic action signaled the beginning of the French Revolution, a decade of political turmoil and terror in which King Louis XVI was overthrown and tens of thousands of people, including the king and his wife Marie-Antoinette, were executed. By the summer of 1789, France was moving quickly toward revolution. Bernard-René Jordan de Launay, the military governor of the Bastille, feared that his fortress would be a target for the revolutionaries. On July 12, royal authorities transferred 250 barrels of gunpowder to the Bastille, and Launay brought his men into the massive fortress and raised its two drawbridges.

At dawn on July 14, a great crowd armed with muskets, swords, and various makeshift weapons began to gather around the Bastille. Launay’s men were able to hold the mob back, but as more and more Parisians were converging on the Bastille, Launay raised a white flag of surrender over the fortress. Launay and his men were taken into custody, the Bastille’s gunpowder and cannons were seized, and the seven prisoners were freed. Upon arriving at the Hotel de Ville, Launay was pulled away by a mob and murdered. The capture of the Bastille symbolized the end of the ancien regime and provided the French revolutionary cause with an irresistible momentum. In 1792, the monarchy was abolished and Louis and his wife Marie-Antoinette were sent to the guillotine for treason in 1793.
Bastille1.jpg
Bastille2.png
Bastille3.jpg
Bastille4.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Revolutionary New Audio Technology Named 'MP3' Today in 1995!

In 1995, the audio compression codec called MP3 was introduced which reduced the size of a CD-A by 90% (depending on the encoding bit rate), i.e. one minute of music going from 10 MB to 1 MB! This allowed storage of a LOT more music on a computer, portable music device, and much quicker transmission over the slower internet of the time - now music downloads and streaming are ubiquitous. I was ripping my CDs to MP3 files and putting 4-5 hours of music on single CD-Rs to play in my basement workshop; also have an old iPod Touch (2G) w/ 40+ hours of music (and room for twice that at least), which I used almost daily.

Today, there are a number of audio codecs, both 'lossless' & 'lossy' (MP3 and Apple's AAC being examples of the latter) - the listing below is one that I've posted on several forums in the past, for those interested in audio coding options - I've stuck w/ MP3 due to much better hardware playback compatibility. The last pic below shows the effect of audio compression and digitalization options for purchasing and streaming music in the USA over a 14 year period (Source) - I suspect that CD sales are down by 90% or more since 2014 - amazing! Dave :)

Audio Codecs

Lossless: non-compressed (NC) & compressed (C)
  • WAV (Windows NC) - duplicates CD-A - LARGE files (10 MB/min)
  • AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) - Apple’s WAV version
  • FLAC (Free Lostless Audio Codec) - C file & saves space
Lossy: information lost but to a variable extent
  • MP3 - popular; bit rate affects quality; 1MB/min average
  • AAC (Advanced Audio Codec) - Apple’s MP3 equivalent; better?
  • WMA (Windows Media Audio) - similar to the others
Representatives of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) were not in attendance at the 1995 christening of the infant technology that would shake their business model to its core just a few years later. Known formally as “MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3,” the technology in question was an efficient new format for the encoding of high-quality digital audio using a highly efficient data-compression algorithm. In other words, it was a way to make CD-quality music files small enough to be stored in bulk on the average computer and transferred manageably across the Internet. Released to the pubic one week earlier, the brand-new MP3 format was given its name and its familiar “.mp3″ file extension on this day in 1995. (Source)

The importance of MP3, or any other scheme for compressing data, is made clear by some straightforward arithmetic. The music on a compact disc is encoded in such a way that a single second corresponds to approximately 176,000 bytes of data, and a single three-minute song to approximately 32 million bytes (32MB). In the mid-1990s, when it was not uncommon for a personal computer to have a total hard-drive capacity of only 500MB, it was therefore impossible to store even one album’s worth of music on the average home computer. And given the actual connection speed of a then-standard 56K dial-up modem, even a single album’s worth of music would have taken literally all day to transfer over the Internet. In this way, the nature of the CD format and the state of mid-90s computer and telecommunications technologies offered the music industry a practical barrier to copyright infringement via Internet file-sharing. But then came MP3. (Source)

Over the course of the late 1980s and early 1990s, several teams of audio engineers worked to develop, test and perfect the standard that would eventually gain the blessing of Motion Picture Experts Group (MPEG). Their approach took advantage of certain physical and cognitive characteristics of human hearing, such as our inability to detect the quieter of two sounds played simultaneously. Using a “perceptual” compression method, engineers were able to eliminate more than 90 percent of the data in a standard CD audio file without compromising sound quality as perceived by the average listener using standard audio equipment. (Source)
MP3_1.png
MP3_2.png
MP3_3.jpg
MP3_4.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Disneyland Opened Today in California in 1955!

Walt Disney's theme park opened in Anaheim, California over 60 years ago - although I've been to the state numerous times, Susan and I took our son there just once - HOWEVER, Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, which was opened in 1971 is another story (see quotes below) - we first took our son there in the mid-1970s (he was 3-4 years old); we returned w/ him a number of times, plus in my academic years, medical meetings that I attended were often held in Orlando. Now there are multiple Disney Parks around on other continents, the newest just opening in Shanghai, China. Dave :)

Disneyland, Walt Disney’s metropolis of nostalgia, fantasy, and futurism, opens on July 17, 1955. The $17 million theme park was built on 160 acres of former orange groves in Anaheim, California, and soon brought in staggering profits. Today, Disneyland hosts more than 14 million visitors a year, who spend close to $3 billion. (Source)

In the early 1950s, Walt Disney began designing a huge amusement park to be built near Los Angeles. He intended Disneyland to have educational as well as amusement value and to entertain adults and their children. Land was bought in the farming community of Anaheim, about 25 miles southeast of Los Angeles, and construction began in 1954. In the summer of 1955, special invitations were sent out for the opening of Disneyland on July 17. Unfortunately, the pass was counterfeited and thousands of uninvited people were admitted into Disneyland on opening day. The park was not ready for the public: food and drink ran out, a women’s high-heel shoe got stuck in the wet asphalt of Main Street USA, and the Mark Twain Steamboat nearly capsized from too many passengers. (Source)

Disneyland soon recovered, however, and attractions such as the Castle, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, Snow White’s Adventures, Space Station X-1, Jungle Cruise, and Stage Coach drew countless children and their parents. Special events and the continual building of new state-of-the-art attractions encouraged them to visit again. In 1965, work began on an even bigger Disney theme park and resort near Orlando, Florida. Walt Disney died in 1966, and Walt Disney World was opened in his honor on October 1, 1971. Epcot Center, Disney-MGM Studios, and Animal Kingdom were later added to Walt Disney World, and it remains Florida’s premier tourist attraction. In 1983, Disneyland Tokyo opened in Japan, and in 1992 Disneyland Paris–or “EuroDisney”–opened to a mixed reaction in Marne-la-Vallee. The newest Disneyland, in Hong Kong, opened its doors in September 2005. (Source)
Disneyland1.png
Disneyland2.jpg
Disneyland3.jpg
Disneyland4.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Disneyland Opened Today in California in 1955!

Walt Disney's theme park opened in Anaheim, California over 60 years ago - although I've been to the state numerous times, Susan and I took our son there just once - HOWEVER, Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, which was opened in 1971 is another story (see quotes below) - we first took our son there in the mid-1970s (he was 3-4 years old); we returned w/ him a number of times, plus in my academic years, medical meetings that I attended were often held in Orlando. Now there are multiple Disney Parks around on other continents, the newest just opening in Shanghai, China. Dave :)

View attachment 78681 View attachment 78682 View attachment 78683 View attachment 78684
I’ve been there dozens of times, including twice during their 30th anniversary year and 5 times during their 50th anniversary year. The 50th anniversary fireworks every night were spectacular, even by Disneyland standards. I’ve also been to the two Disney theme parks in Tokyo, Japan; Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea, which has among its many attractions a full size replica of captain Nemo’s Volcania base from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve been there dozens of times, including twice during their 30th anniversary year and 5 times during their 50th anniversary year. The 50th anniversary fireworks every night were spectacular, even by Disneyland standards. Ive also been to the two Disney theme parks in Tokyo, Japan; Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea, which has among its many attractions a full size replica of captain Nemo’s Volcania base from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

BOY - that's impressive, a real Disneyphile! :)

I've been a Disney fan most of my life, I guess - was watching the Mickey Mouse Club in the 1950s (the boys always enjoyed Annette!). I've likely seen nearly all of the animated films (before & after the Pixar acquisition) and own the nearly 20 or so below, most as BDs. As to the MANY non-aninated Disney movies, I have at least a dozen or more in my collection, although have seen many of them over the decades.

Now, looking at that list - I need to obtain Fantasia on blu-ray - the sound is suppose to be fantastic (according to the review below - Source), however, the current Amazon Prime price is nearly $40 (USD) - $23 in their marketplace (MP) - I do have some credit, so maybe time for a purchase? :rolleyes: Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Well after reading the review on Fantasia in the link, I went to the Amazon MP and using $15 of my credit, purchase the 2-BD set (both movies) for $12 - shipping from England (but stated to be 'region free').
Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 1.55.54 PM.png
http---mashable.com-wp-content-uploads-2012-10-original-mmc-640.jpg
71wHT5wzEYL._SX342_.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 2.05.43 PM.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BOY - that's impressive, a real Disneyphile! :)

I've been a Disney fan most of my life, I guess - was watching the Mickey Mouse Club in the 1950s (the boys always enjoyed Annette!). I've likely seen nearly all of the animated films (before & after the Pixar acquisition) and own the nearly 20 or so below, most as BDs. As to the MANY non-aninated Disney movies, I have at least a dozen or more in my collection, although have seen many of them over the decades.

Now, looking at that list - I need to obtain Fantasia on blu-ray - the sound is suppose to be fantastic (according to the review below - Source), however, the current Amazon Prime price is nearly $40 (USD) - $23 in their marketplace (MP) - I do have some credit, so maybe time for a purchase? :rolleyes: Dave :)

ADDENDUM: Well after reading the review on Fantasia in the link, I went to the Amazon MP and using $15 of my credit, purchase the 2-BD set (both movies) for $12 - shipping from England (but stated to be 'region free').
View attachment 78688 View attachment 78689 View attachment 78690 View attachment 78691
Fantasia was the first movie released with a surround sound 4 channel soundtrack; pretty amazing for 1940. I have the movie on Laserdisc in a box set edition. It’s in the CAV format which means I can randomly access each frame in the movie if I choose.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Robert Gould Shaw Dies Today in 1863 During the Attack of Battery Wagner near Charleston

On July 18, 1863, Union Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, commander of the all black 54th Massachusetts Infantry, is killed along with many of his troops while attacking Battery (Fort) Wagner on Morris Island, which guarded a southern approach to Charleston harbor - he was just 25 years old. The fort was not taken that day (see first two quotes below); yesterday, I read in a newspaper that the English-made sword that he carried in that battle was just found (after 150 years) in the attic of a relative in Boston - see third quote below.

The 1989 movie Glory, starring Matthew Broderick as Shaw portrays this battle - the siege scenes were filmed on Jekyll Island, in the Brunswick Georgia area (see my travelogue of a recent trip we took there, if interested) - a beach has been renamed Glory Beach at the southern end of the island which we passed on a boat ride. A number of memorials are devoted to Shaw, one shown below along w/ his portrait (and dates). Dave :)

On this day, Union Colonel Robert Gould Shaw and 272 of his troops are killed in an assault on Fort Wagner, near Charleston, South Carolina. Shaw was commander of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry, perhaps the most famous regiment of African-American troops during the war. Fort Wagner stood on Morris Island, guarding the approach to Charleston harbor. It was a massive earthwork, 600 feet wide and made from sand piled 30 feet high. The only approach to the fort was across a narrow stretch of beach bounded by the Atlantic on one side and a swampy marshland on the other. Union General Quincy Gillmore headed an operation in July 1863 to take the island and seal the approach to Charleston. (Source)

Shaw and his 54th Massachusetts were chosen to lead the attack of July 18. Shaw was the scion of an abolitionist family and a veteran of the 1862 Shenandoah Valley and Antietam campaigns. The regiment included two sons of abolitionist Frederick Douglass. Union artillery battered Fort Wagner all day on July 18, but the barrage did little damage to the fort and its garrison. At 7:45 p.m., the attack commenced. Yankee troops had to march 1,200 yards down the beach to the stronghold, facing a hail of bullets from the Confederates. Shaw’s troops and other Union regiments penetrated the walls at two points but did not have sufficient numbers to take the fort. Over 1,500 Union troops fell or were captured to the Confederates’ 222. (Source)

The sword that belonged to the commanding officer of the first all-black regiment raised in the North during the Civil War has been recovered after being lost for more than 150 years. The British-made sword carried into battle by Col. Robert Gould Shaw was stolen after he was killed during the 54th Massachusetts Voluntary Infantry’s doomed attack on Fort Wagner, SC, in 1863, a battle portrayed in the 1989 movie “Glory.” It was found recently in the home of one of Shaw’s distant relatives and is scheduled to go on display at the Massachusetts Historical Society on Tuesday, the 154th anniversary of his death. (Source)
Glory1.jpg
Glory2.png
Glory3.jpg
Glory4.jpg
Glory5.png
Glory6.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ft. Wagner Today?

After my previous post, I was curious about the fate of Ft. Wagner - for those interested, an excellent discussion w/ plenty of pics from the Civil War Trust, which has 'saved' over a 100 acres of Morris Island from development. Due to storm damage and beach erosion, the earthen structure no longer exists (below maps of Morris Island relative to Charleston Bay & pics of the fort, including an artist's rendition) - the last aerial map is one that I have annotated.

Morris Island today apparently can be visited by boat and Civil War reenactments take place on the approximate beach site (see pics in the link above) - Dave :)
Map1.jpg
Map2.jpg
Map3.jpg
Map4a.jpg
Map4b.jpg
Map5.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ft. Wagner Today?

After my previous post, I was curious about the fate of Ft. Wagner - for those interested, an excellent discussion w/ plenty of pics from the Civil War Trust, which has 'saved' over a 100 acres of Morris Island from development. Due to storm damage and beach erosion, the earthen structure no longer exists (below maps of Morris Island relative to Charleston Bay & pics of the fort, including an artist's rendition) - the last aerial map is one that I have annotated.

Morris Island today apparently can be visited by boat and Civil War reenactments take place on the approximate beach site (see pics in the link above) - Dave :)
View attachment 78700 View attachment 78701 View attachment 78702 View attachment 78703 View attachment 78704 View attachment 78705
Here's another map of the assault on Fort Wagner.
IMG_3412.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's a contemporary map of Morris Island.
View attachment 78707

Hi SciFan.. - thanks for adding the additional pics - wish that there were 'aerial' shots back in the 1800s - would be great to superimposed images of Morris Island (then & now) to see the effects of storms & beach erosion over the last 150+ years.

Also, I had forgotten that there is a Morris Island Lighthouse, which is now several hundred feet offshore (see quote & pics). I've been out to Folly Beach several times in our frequent visits to Charleston, but never looked into visiting the lighthouse (assume a boat trip - see this LINK for more discussion and a lot more pics) - we are due for a return trip to Charleston, so might just revisit Folly Beach and look into our options w/ the Morris Island Lighthouse? Dave :)

Morris Island Light is a lighthouse on Morris Island in South Carolina. The light stands on the southern side of the entrance to Charleston Harbor, north of the City of Folly Beach. The lighthouse was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The lighthouse is unusual in that it now stands several hundred feet offshore. When constructed in 1876 the light was approximately 1,200 feet (370 m) from the water's edge. However, the construction in 1889 of the jetties which protect the shipping lanes leading to Charleston Harbor altered ocean currents, resulting in the rapid erosion of Morris Island and the destruction of many structures and historical sites (such as Fort Wagner). By 1938 the shoreline had reached the lighthouse, forcing its automation as it was no longer safe or practical to keep it manned. In 1962 the Morris Island Light was decommissioned and replaced by the new Charleston Light, located on Sullivan's Island at the north end of the harbor. (see LINK above)
MorrisIslandLight1.png
MorrisIslandLight2.png
MorrisIslandLight3.png
MorrisIslandLight4.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Rosetta Stone Discovered in 1799

Today in 1799, one of Napoleon's soldiers discovers a black basalt slab near the town of Rosetta - the same text was carved on the stone in three languages, including Egyptian hieroglyphics and Greek - this allowed 'cracking' of the code and deciphering of the ancient Egyptian language (more below) - after Napoleon's defeat, the stone was claimed by the British and is now in the British Museum - I've seen the stone twice, which is believed to have been part of a stele (one possible reconstruction below). Dave :)

On this day in 1799, during Napoleon Bonaparte’s Egyptian campaign, a French soldier discovers a black basalt slab inscribed with ancient writing near the town of Rosetta, about 35 miles north of Alexandria. The irregularly shaped stone contained fragments of passages written in three different scripts: Greek, Egyptian hieroglyphics and Egyptian demotic. The ancient Greek on the Rosetta Stone told archaeologists that it was inscribed by priests honoring the king of Egypt, Ptolemy V, in the second century B.C. More startlingly, the Greek passage announced that the three scripts were all of identical meaning. The artifact thus held the key to solving the riddle of hieroglyphics, a written language that had been “dead” for nearly 2,000 years. (Source)

When Napoleon, an emperor known for his enlightened view of education, art and culture, invaded Egypt in 1798, he took along a group of scholars and told them to seize all important cultural artifacts for France. Pierre Bouchard, one of Napoleon’s soldiers, was aware of this order when he found the basalt stone, which was almost four feet long and two-and-a-half feet wide, at a fort near Rosetta. When the British defeated Napoleon in 1801, they took possession of the Rosetta Stone. (Source)

Several scholars, including Englishman Thomas Young made progress with the initial hieroglyphics analysis of the Rosetta Stone. French Egyptologist Jean-Francois Champollion (1790-1832), who had taught himself ancient languages, ultimately cracked the code and deciphered the hieroglyphics using his knowledge of Greek as a guide. Hieroglyphics used pictures to represent objects, sounds and groups of sounds. Once the Rosetta Stone inscriptions were translated, the language and culture of ancient Egypt was suddenly open to scientists as never before. (Source)
RStone0a.jpg
RStone0b.jpg
RStone1.jpg
RStone2.png
RStone3.png
RStone4.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rosetta Stone Discovered in 1799

Today in 1799, one of Napoleon's soldiers discovers a black basalt slab near the town of Rosetta - the same text was carved on the stone in three languages, including Egyptian hieroglyphics and Greek - this allowed 'cracking' of the code and deciphering of the ancient Egyptian language (more below) - after Napoleon's defeat, the stone was claimed by the British and is now in the British Museum - I've seen the stone twice, which is believed to have been part of a stele (one possible reconstruction below). Dave :)

View attachment 78718 View attachment 78719 View attachment 78720 View attachment 78721 View attachment 78722 View attachment 78723
Here’s my photo of the Rosetta Stone, taken during my visit to the British Museum in 2014.
IMG_4206.JPG

It’s the most visited artifact in the museum and there are always crowds of people around it. It took me almost 1/2 an hour to get this view without people in the way.

BTW, in the years since the discovery of the Rosetta Stone, several other multi lingual stelae have been discovered.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here’s my photo of the Rosetta Stone, taken during my visit to the British Museum in 2014.
View attachment 78725
It’s the most visited artifact in the museum and there are always crowds of people around it. It took me almost 1/2 an hour to get this view without people in the way.

BTW, in the years since the discovery of the Rosetta Stone, several other multi lingual stelae have been discovered.
I've tried taking a picture of it when I visited the museum, more than 2 years ago, and it was impossible to get a photo without people. You were lucky.

Most reactions