On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you do decide to visit, book ahead as available tickets for a particular day are usually sold out in advance.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the additional information. Al Capone wasn't on the first boatload of prisoners but arrived a few months later. I've been to Alcatraz once, back in 1983.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the the above - did not remember his exact arrival date but was soon after Alcatraz opened - I was curious about his prison cell there, so found the first pic below - actually one of his earlier places of imprisonment (quote below) was relatively luxurious, as seen in the second attachment. ;) Dave

Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 5.57.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 5.59.10 PM.png

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reminder - there was a short article in USA Today about his family still coping w/ the loss - one of Robin's comedic mentors was Jonathan Winters - below a link to a You Tube video of the two improvising - for those not familiar w/ Winters, there are plenty of other videos - take a look @ a few. Dave :)

Jonathan Winters & Robin Williams

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, a couple days late but was reading a short, concise, & clear article about the current woes of the Social Security system in the United States in our Sunday paper (from the Associated Press) - on August 14, 1935, the signing of this Act by President Franklin Roosevelt occurred making this the 80th birthday of this federal program. For those interested, the article can be read HERE - Dave :)
    lead_960.jpg

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Sunday morning and listening to the Bob Edwards radio show - his first interview was w/ Greg Walter who was hired in 1969 to help create a music festival in upstate New York southwest of the town of Woodstock - Walter published a book years later w/ photographs of the event that he took.

Woodstock, the outdoor rock musical festival took place on August 15-17, 1969 (brief quote below from a Wiki Article) - nearly a half million attended - WOW! Susan & I were still students at the U. of Michigan in Ann Arbor, engaged to be married the following June. And for the record, we did not attend the event - ;) Dave

o-WOODSTOCK-1969-facebook.jpg epic_slider.jpg pc-140804-poland-woodstock-01_9f61617ce2a17789f96c9a41aadc1d25.jpg hendrix-live-woodstock.jpg

#1537 giradman, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Lusitania Sunk 100 years ago on May 7, 1915!

Sorry, I'm a few months late, but is the 100th anniversary year of this tragedy - in the process of reading Dead Wake by Erick Lawson and published earlier this year - book is on my iPad as a Kindle edition and is highly recommended, if you're are interested in the topic - all historic aspects of the period are covered, including the ship & its passengers, U-boat construction & their function/crews, and American & British involvement - below a brief opening description (Source). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 10.37.09 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 10.38.43 AM.png

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hurricane Katrina - 10th Anniversary, end of August 2005

The 10th anniversary of the costliest natural disaster in the history of the United States in addition to the worst engineering disaster (i.e. failure of the levees causing flooding of 80% of New Orleans); the destruction was more widespread w/ the Mississippi Gulf and the Mobile, Alabama area hit hard w/ massive destruction - selected quotes below from a Wiki Article.

The French Quarter was virtually spared (site of the original city where the highest ground had been chosen back then) which Susan & I visited about 4-5 years ago to instill some money into the economy - we took several Katrina tours and one of our older lady guides had loss everything when her house was near completely covered w/ water - we're planning on returning soon - below some pics shown the devastation (the circle I drew on the hurricane map covers New Orleans, the MS Gulf, and the Mobile area). Dave :)

NOAA-Hurricane-Katrina-Aug28-05-2145UTC.jpg Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 3.25.43 PM.png Truck_in_a_tree_after_Hurricane_Katrina.jpg Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 3.27.32 PM.png

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This us something we certainly cannot forget as it could easily happen again. Of course the developers and the city are in a way responsible because low lying areas such as the lower 9th ward should never have been developed for housing.