On this day in history.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KevinJS, Aug 3, 2012.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, the Army Corps of Engineers claims that they have nearly completed a 'bullet-proof' hurricane protection system for New Orleans - story on NPR today or yesterday - sounds quite impressive but who knows what the future may bring? But, New Orleans is an extremely important city on this continent and always a fun visit (been there at least a dozen times).

The Mississippi River is such a natural force and its attempted control over the centuries has been a fantastic story, a gamble, and at times a colossal failure - as to the latter, talking about the 'Flood of 1927' (quote below from the start of a Wiki article) - for those interested, Rising Tide is an excellent read. Greenville, MS was a major disaster area from this flood - my son and I did a 'Mississippi Trip' when he was a teenager (our interest in the Blues) and was an experience visiting the river towns, including Greenville - the levee looked like a dam in the downtown area (reminded me of a trip to the Netherlands w/ the sea level above the adjacent fields) - some road signs below around the Greenville area. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 6.24.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 6.03.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 6.00.29 PM.png

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, it was quite interesting to learn something about the history of the levee system on the Mississippi River.

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    September 11, 2001;
    Hijacked planes are flown into the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon in the deadliest ever terrorist attack.
    image.jpg

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    USA Today had a feature article on the World Trade Center (click the link, if interested) in today's edition - an ongoing major building project is in progress - quoted below a description of the multiple new skyscrapers, plus a picture of the eventual appearance - Susan & I last visited Manhattan in 2009 (we did not go to 'Ground Zero' - had so much else planned in our 5-night stay) - BUT, we are certainly due for a trip back and will definitely go to lower Manhattan to view the site. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 12.46.49 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yogi Berra (1925-2015) has just died at the age of 90 years old - he is considered arguably the greatest American baseball catcher and was just as famous off the field as on for his sayings - one of his last ones is quoted below; other 'sayings' can be found HERE - for more information, see his NY Times Obit - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 9.37.40 AM.png

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The world has lost another baseball legend.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Columbus Day Holiday Today!

On October 12, 1492, Christopher Columbus (an Italian sailing for Spain) unknowingly 'bumped into' the Americas on his way to China, and initiated one of the largest prolonged genocides in the world, i.e. the elimination of tens of millions of native Americans, likely greater than 90% of the pre-Columbian population by the 16th century - for those interested in the topic, I would recommend the American Holocaust: The Conquest of the New World (1993) by David E. Stannard - short quote below from Amazon USA - a Kindle edition is available for $10 (I still have my paperback copy).

This event has increasingly become a 'controversial' holiday (celebrated on the 2nd Monday of October in the USA) in the United States w/ strong support for the small remaining Native American citizens - several articles appeared today in my morning papers discussing this issue - checkout this USA Today article for some more extended discussion - the second quote below includes just a few paragraphs from that story.

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 10.53.21 AM.png

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Just a follow-up to my Columbus post - below are some excellent books on the subject of the impact of Europeans (and later American-Europeans) on America's native populations - these are only 3 of many that are available on the topic (and I've read plenty more) - included is the 'American Holocaust...' mentioned before - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 11.37.26 AM.png

9. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The second Monday in October is the Thanksgiving holiday in Canada.,

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Despite the controversy over celebrating Columbus Day in the United States, people won't want to give up a statutory holiday. I can see the possibility of renaming the holiday and changing it's purpose, but I don't see eliminating the October long weekend.