What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old emails keep loading

rogie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since upgrading to ios5 my mail has loaded a bunch of old messages. Every time I go to clear out old messages, new ones load from my server. I don't want to delete these from my server, just don't want them on my iPad. Is there some way to limit the "reloading" of old messages when I delete messages from a mail account?

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iluvmyipad said:
I'm having the same problem

So do I. But I find that I win in the end. Of course, it must be worse if you have hundreds of emails every day.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you are using POP account. If your provider has the option, change over to their IMAP account settings instead, or Exchange Active sync.

Other wise, instead of keeping all you old email in the Inbox on the server, create a folder on the server and move it to that. You'll never see it on the iPad, and since it is a POP account, you won't even see the folder.

jfolliard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you are using POP account. If your provider has the option, change over to their IMAP account settings instead, or Exchange Active sync.

Other wise, instead of keeping all you old email in the Inbox on the server, create a folder on the server and move it to that. You'll never see it on the iPad, and since it is a POP account, you won't even see the folder.

I noticed that with ios5 the minimum number of back emails it loads was raised from 25 to 50 which is very frustrating. I have a pop account with comcast so imap isn't available. I d/l emails to my desktop as my primary computer and need to leave them on the server after download until I choose to delete them. so everytime I use my ipad, another 50 emails get downloaded including all of those I've already seen on my desktop.

When I turn ipad mail on, 50 messages come in, when I delete those, 50 more come in, etc. etc. Isn't there anway the ipad can be tweaked to not download 50 emails or to stop after the first batch?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you could get a GMail account. It can be set to go and get mail from other accounts, which would keep you from missing any emails, and you could slowly migrate all you contacts, sites, and other stuff to the new GMail account until very little ever comes in (that you want) from the Comcast account.

Since GMail is ISP independent, you'd never have to worry about changing providers and losing your email account, which is another bonus.

Given the limitations of a POP account, that's the route I would go.

Or you could do the same thing with iCloud by setting up forwarding for you Comcast account, if that's possible. i'm not familiar with Comcast.

Whether you end up using IMAP or Exchange Active sync (Google's other choice) managing all you email on the server, instead of worrying about what device or computer it is on, is much more efficient and headache free(r).

One other possibility, though I'd call it short term fix. I don't have any POP accounts, so I don't know if the option is there, but some account types can limit their downloads by the email'ss time stamp. Go into your Account settings on the iPad and look for an option called Mail Days to Sync. If it is there it can be set as low as 1 day. I don't think it will be there, but it might.

And that's all I can think of.

jfolliard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thansk much for your reply! been struggling with this for awhile now, didn't think there was a ready made answer - don't want to change my email address for just this small, but frustrating issue. thanks again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

You might want to consider the second email account anyway. I have three, and even though two of them are seldom used, it's nice to have a backup. It's also handy when you want to test whether your email working.

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Well, you could get a GMail account. It can be set to go and get mail from other accounts, which would keep you from missing any emails, and you could slowly migrate all you contacts, sites, and other stuff to the new GMail account until very little ever comes in (that you want) from the Comcast account.

Since GMail is ISP independent, you'd never have to worry about changing providers and losing your email account, which is another bonus.

Given the limitations of a POP account, that's the route I would go.

Or you could do the same thing with iCloud by setting up forwarding for you Comcast account, if that's possible. i'm not familiar with Comcast.

Whether you end up using IMAP or Exchange Active sync (Google's other choice) managing all you email on the server, instead of worrying about what device or computer it is on, is much more efficient and headache free(r).

One other possibility, though I'd call it short term fix. I don't have any POP accounts, so I don't know if the option is there, but some account types can limit their downloads by the email'ss time stamp. Go into your Account settings on the iPad and look for an option called Mail Days to Sync. If it is there it can be set as low as 1 day. I don't think it will be there, but it might.

And that's all I can think of.

How do I get gmail to get mail from my other account?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How do I get gmail to get mail from my other account?

You have to set that up on Google's site, somewhere under your mail preferences. I know that it can be done because they mention it in some of the help articles, but I've never had a reason to set it up myself.

mjtyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You have to set that up on Google's site, somewhere under your mail preferences. I know that it can be done because they mention it in some of the help articles, but I've never had a reason to set it up myself.

Thanks, I have tried but I think I am missing something as the help on the actual gmail google site doesn't really have it. At the moment just managing it be keeping my email account cleared and clean.

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
your gmail account settings has " forward email option to a specific email address" in stttings

Most reactions

Latest posts