What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old and dumb!

Sue Curtis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Sue Curtis, I'm from South Australia. I do not own a computer, I only have an ipad2. I would really appreciate if someone could advise me in simple terms as to how I can change my Facebook timeline picture, I would like to replace it with a photo from my photo album!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Sue and welcome to the forum. Nice to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visits.

I am going to make the assumption you have an iPad2 running the latest iOS (6.0.1) and that you are using the "official" Facebook app. I make those assumptions because those are what I will be using to describe the steps to you...:)

The first step is to get the photo to Facebook. You can do that in three ways.

One, in the Facebook app, at your profile, press the Photo button. A pop-up should appear for you to select to "Take Photo or Video" or "Choose From Library." Make your choice, post something if you wish and send it.

Two, in your profile on Facebook, scroll down (left side) to the Photos. Press that line and then press the folder Mobile Uploads and it will open. At the upper right should be a plus sign for you to get the same pop-up as in option one above. However, if you've never uploaded a photo, this folder may not be there...

Three, you can send a photo directly from your Photos app (the flower icon). Open the app so you see all the thumbnails of your pictures. At the upper right is a button titled "Edit." press that and then tap the photo(s) you wish to send to Facebook (you will see a blue-circled check mark on each picture you tap). Then, at the upper left, another button should now be highlighted ("Share"). Tap that button and you will get an option to send it to Facebook. You'll get a little pop-up that will allow you to make a comment if you wish. Then, hit the post button and you're done.

Well, there actually is a fourth in that you can use the Camera app to take a picture and then, once the photo is taken, send it from there. It's the same process as from the Photo app (sharing) once you've taken the photo... :)

Okay, that's the hard part - getting your photos to Facebook using the iPad. The easy part is making one of those photos your profile picture.

Go to Facebook and select the Photo tab again. Once you are there, open any folder so you can open any picture. Once the picture is displaying, press and HOLD it until you get another pop-up. This one will offer you to opportunity to "Make Profile Picture." Select that option and you are done! Whew! :)

Bit more than you probably wanted - but I hope some of this is of help. Good luck and holler back if you need more assistance.

Marilyn

P.S. And you're not dumb - just in a learning curve. Heck, to be honest, I still understand 9/10s of Facebook. Barely use it (I just like to look at family pictures). :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn, your procedure also works with the iPad 3, I used it last month to change my profile picture on Facebook.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Sue and welcome to the Forum!

Hi from Brissy!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Tutorial on creating posts on the Forum
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
Sue Curtis

Sue Curtis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Hi, Sue and welcome to the forum. Nice to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visits.

I am going to make the assumption you have an iPad2 running the latest iOS (6.0.1) and that you are using the "official" Facebook app. I make those assumptions because those are what I will be using to describe the steps to you...:)

The first step is to get the photo to Facebook. You can do that in three ways.

One, in the Facebook app, at your profile, press the Photo button. A pop-up should appear for you to select to "Take Photo or Video" or "Choose From Library." Make your choice, post something if you wish and send it.

Two, in your profile on Facebook, scroll down (left side) to the Photos. Press that line and then press the folder Mobile Uploads and it will open. At the upper right should be a plus sign for you to get the same pop-up as in option one above. However, if you've never uploaded a photo, this folder may not be there...

Three, you can send a photo directly from your Photos app (the flower icon). Open the app so you see all the thumbnails of your pictures. At the upper right is a button titled "Edit." press that and then tap the photo(s) you wish to send to Facebook (you will see a blue-circled check mark on each picture you tap). Then, at the upper left, another button should now be highlighted ("Share"). Tap that button and you will get an option to send it to Facebook. You'll get a little pop-up that will allow you to make a comment if you wish. Then, hit the post button and you're done.

Well, there actually is a fourth in that you can use the Camera app to take a picture and then, once the photo is taken, send it from there. It's the same process as from the Photo app (sharing) once you've taken the photo... :)

Okay, that's the hard part - getting your photos to Facebook using the iPad. The easy part is making one of those photos your profile picture.

Go to Facebook and select the Photo tab again. Once you are there, open any folder so you can open any picture. Once the picture is displaying, press and HOLD it until you get another pop-up. This one will offer you to opportunity to "Make Profile Picture." Select that option and you are done! Whew! :)

Bit more than you probably wanted - but I hope some of this is of help. Good luck and holler back if you need more assistance.

Marilyn

P.S. And you're not dumb - just in a learning curve. Heck, to be honest, I still understand 9/10s of Facebook. Barely use it (I just like to look at family pictures). :)

I appreciate your reply and thank you very much ;) I have had no trouble changing my profile pic, it's my 'timeline pic' that I want to change and your advice doesn't work for that......yes I have an iPad 2 and have the latest version iOS............it's the TIMELINE PIC on my wall that I would like to change :(, sorry to bother you again :(

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I misunderstood.

A timeline picture is just something you've uploaded in a general status post. As far as I know, there is no changing it. I think you can delete it, but not change the picture. However, I could be wrong [again] because I never change the wording of a status post or the pictures I post - Facebook and I don't really get along. :) Maybe someone else can help...?

Or, do you mean your "cover picture" - the one at the top of your profile (the big one that your littler profile picture fits over)? That one can be changed - but it's very, very difficult to do on an iPad. In fact, it's impossible to do in the official app (at least I can't find a way). It's doable on the web via Safari - but still complicated.

Anyway, if it's the cover photo you mean - holler back and we'll take a shot at the directions.

There. Clear as mud, yeah? :)

Marilyn

AndreaYWeaver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello :) I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to change my timeline cover photo on Facebook from my ipad.... can someone help me please!?! Thank-you :)

Most reactions

Latest posts