What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OC'd Kernel?

evove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why isn't there an option to bake in an Overclocked Kernel to the .Ipsw before flashing (restoring)?

I mean, I know I'm an android fan, but why hasn't this happened to the iDevices yet? Or am I missing something and this had already happened?

I'm in need for speed.

--EDIT--

I forget that Android is open source, and Apple isn't. (But it's Unix based, and Unix is open source???)

But still, a nice discussion.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not quite sure what an overclocked kernel is and all my research shows this is only possible on android. So, yeah, no option to bake any kernels. And iOS isn't an open source, because apple chooses that. If you jailbreak though, the OS becomes wide-open.

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A kernel controls your speed. For instance the HTC Evo 4G is set at a max of 1ghz, with a different kernel flashed to the device, you can overclock to make it faster. There are a ton of different ones you can flash to a rooted Android device to make it faster. (Rooting is the Android equivalent of jailbreaking.)

It's also been done with many other devices, such as those running webOS. Palm deliberately underclocked the processors in the original Pre and Pixi, so you really had to do it to make them decently usable.

I've never looked into jailbreaking iOS, so I don't know if there are kernels available or not, it really doesn't need it, since it runs so fast and fluidly.

Mistress of Mischief

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note: this is referring to processor speed! That means that if you get a bad kernel, or one your device can't handle, it can end up a brick, due to overheating.

Mistress of Mischief

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the great explanation!

So, here is my conclusion:
Not possible on iOS. And there would be a possibility of bricking because you are modifying more than just the OS.

OP
evove

evove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The kernel also determines the screen, battery power, and signal. If someone wanted to, I'm sure it can be done by modifying the framework also. I was looking through the iPads organs and noticed there is a Kernel and a Data Throttle. (Data Throttle governs the max speed allowed for uploading and downloading data.)

Once I get a new iPad, this will be my test subject. And I will do my best to make it possible. :)

Though, it will be hard. I just have to know the processors limits. (the kernel is always lower than the processors speed.)

OP
evove

evove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
System/Library/System Configuration/PowerManagement.bundle/

You will find com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefault.plist

I'm assuming if you remove this file from the directory (and of course, backing it up) it will be "Overclocked", per-say.

But a true over clock isn't just removing the limit. It is also going beyond it.

My HTC THUNDERBOLT is OC'd at 1.8Ghz, and has a score of 2836 on a quadrant test. I wish my iPad was as fast. Lol.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's great to be a pioneer, just watch out! There is always that risk of making it a 1.5 lb $500 door stop. :)

verwon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's great to be a pioneer, just watch out! There is always that risk of making it a 1.5 lb $500 door stop. :)

Very welcome!

And I agree, my HTC Evo that I got for $99 and has full insurance, I'll play with. My iPad, however, is great the way it is and I don't want to risk it.

Mistress of Mischief

Most reactions

Latest posts