What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Number - Pdf provider

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, at a guess I'd say Open In depends on a certain amount of standardization for the format. As far as I know Apple has not published a standard for the iWorks formats.

I'd say the few apps that can do anything with the iWorks format are depending on iOS's builtin Quicklook API, which was never meant for this and isn't really that good at presenting the documents anyway. That, or they've reverse engineered the format.

The PDF and Excel options are exports. The documents need to be converted first. Open In typically just copies and opens the document in the new app. You should probably try both, converting in PDF PROvider and exporting to PDF in Numbers to see which gives you the better results. I wouldn't mind hearing what those results are.

It would be nice if Apple added the code to convert then Open In, but I don't see it happening soon if ever.

For this kind of thing and iWorks apps I usually use the WebDAV export option with Box.com. I see PDF PROvider also supports Box. As long as you have an internet connection this is probably the simplest workflow available; once you've set it up.

Most reactions

Latest posts