What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using dropbox for text

sirandrewmuir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Curiously my pdf files appear on mi iPad as normal but my doc files don't show page numbers and hence seperate pages. How can I correct this?

OP
S

sirandrewmuir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having said that the file is correctly saced at dropbox.com so it seems to be a limitation on the iPad eventhough it is an official app-If it can work properly with pdf files why not doc files?

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The built-in reader is very limited for MS Office files. Have you tried the Open In feature?

OP
S

sirandrewmuir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The built-in reader is very limited for MS Office files. Have you tried the Open In feature?
No! What is it? An app? I otice that iPad does not support at all odt files. I like pdf butit seems everyone still beliebes in MS Word

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, at the top right there is a little box with an arrow pointing out. Click that, then you'll see all the apps that support that format.

OP
S

sirandrewmuir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried using USB Disc which is a very easy way to transfer files from the computer to the iPad but it still only gives you a toilet roll for .doc files.
Andrew

OP
S

sirandrewmuir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll need an "app for that".
USB Disc is an app and works very well mucj like Goodreader for transfering files from the computer to the iPad. Ipad supports a vast number of different formats but for reasons only known to Apple they have no interest in supporting an MS product which is unfortunate because Word, like it or not, is the most widely used text writer.
Not only does it not allow paging but also line spacing is all wrong. Nor does it support odt which I assume Apple sees as another competitor in the software field. If you want to read your own text files I suggest write them in odt (which us free) and then convert to pdf (which is also provided free together with conversions to .doc files). Both USB Disc abd Good reader allow perfext transmission to the iPad.

Most reactions