What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notes not syncing

OP
anneUK

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to book a call from Apple tomorrow to see if it can be resolved. I really can't spare much more time on the issue. It seems strange that my calendars, etc update but not the Notes.

I'll report back after Apple's call in case other people get this problem.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have just had a thought. You need to be on El Capitan or Sierra with your Mac for synching of notes to occur and you are given the opportunity to upgrade Notes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Presumably you click Save on phone, etc as you sign out?

No. You tap delete when signing out of the iPhone and iPad. If you tap save, then the notes are not deleted from the device, and will be synced back to iCloud when you turn syncing back on.

Turning note syncing on/off on a device will not delete notes stored in iCloud, no mater what option you choose on the iPhone or iPad. That is why you can tell the iPhone to delete the notes when turning off syncing, and they will all come back when you turn syncing back on. Well, all the ones that are in iCloud will come back.

OP
anneUK

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have all my Notes in iCloud but any I make on my iPad are not synced. I have just deleted the notes on my iPhone when signing out of iCloud but when I signed in again, my iPad created note wasn't there. There was also the folder of Deleted notes which I had removed from my iPad.
Hope the Apple call I've book for later today will get this sorted!

OP
anneUK

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just had a thought. You need to be on El Capitan or Sierra with your Mac for synching of notes to occur and you are given the opportunity to upgrade Notes.
I don't have a MAC. I'm just using an iPhone and an iPad.

OP
anneUK

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am now on my computer. I've logged into my iCloud account and see that the recent notes I have made on my iPad and my iPhone have not been synced to my iCloud account. Probably the reason they are not syncing on my devices!
Any ideas as to why they are not being uploaded, please?

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can imagine how you are feeling it's so annoying, l had this last year made quite a few posts on here to no avail.
But l was using an iPhone 4 as soon as l got my 5s the world changed for me. Don't despair it will get sorted.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am now on my computer. I've logged into my iCloud account and see that the recent notes I have made on my iPad and my iPhone have not been synced to my iCloud account. Probably the reason they are not syncing on my devices!
Any ideas as to why they are not being uploaded, please?

Ok, a few questions; everthing I can think of that is related to note syncing. Some of these may be redundant. Think of it as a checklist.

Is your iPad connecting to a wi-fi network?
In Settings > Cellular Data (if applicable) is the Notes app enabled?
Are you signed into the same iCloud account on both devices?
What version of iOS are you running on both devices?
Are both devises set to default to iCloud in Settings > Notes?
Are notes set to sync in Settings > iCloud on both devices?
In Settings > General > Background App Refresh, is Notes enabled?

That's all I can think of.

Not all of these need to be on or enabled, but combinations of them may work or not work in certain situations.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, a few questions; everthing I can think of that is related to note syncing. Some of these may be redundant. Think of it as a checklist.

Is your iPad connecting to a wi-fi network?
In Settings > Cellular Data (if applicable) is the Notes app enabled?
Are you signed into the same iCloud account on both devices?
What version of iOS are you running on both devices?
Are both devises set to default to iCloud in Settings > Notes?
Are notes set to sync in Settings > iCloud on both devices?
In Settings > General > Background App Refresh, is Notes enabled?

That's all I can think of.

Not all of these need to be on or enabled, but combinations of them may work or not work in certain situations.

You will not give up,l like the determination. The last 2 lines are fantastic. You could be a politician.

OP
anneUK

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks once again for all replies. The Apple assistant rang me this afternoon and tried to fix this before putting me through to a senior manager. They spent a total of two hours on the phone including remote access but, in the end, had to refer it to their engineers. They confirmed that all my settings are correct but my iPad notes are not being synced with my online iCloud account and therefore not getting onto my iPhone.
They are hoping to contact me over the next few days.

Most reactions

Latest posts