What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notes not syncing

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having read lots of instructions via Google & Safari, my iCloud Notes are still not syncing between my iPad Pro and my IPhone 6s+.
My iPad shows 53 Notes in iCloud, my iPhone 56Notes.
I have tried rebooting both but that hasn't helped.
How can I correct this please?

I've just noticed that if I create a note in iCloud on my iPad, it shows on my iPhone but not the other way round.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you are creating your iPhone notes in a folder that is on iCloud.

At the top left on the iPhone there should be a back arrow. Tap it until you see a list of your Notes folders. You could have any from just one (probably called Notes) to many others. Since Notes can sync with more than one service and/or store notes locally, you may have folders under headers like 'All iCloud', 'Google', or Local.

If your iPhone notes are being created in a folder that is not in iCloud, go to Settings > Notes and change your default account to iCloud.

You'll also see an "On My iPhone" Account setting. You can prevent any local notes by turing this off. It would be a good idea to move any notes in a local folder to iCloud before turning this off.

OP
anneUK

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for replying.

In the Notes app on my iPhone, I see an iCloud folder called 'Notes' plus a couple of other folders called Notes for each of my two Gmail accounts.
I create a note in my iCloud folder but this does not sync to my iPad.
My "On my iPhone" is disabled.

If I create a note in the iCloud folder on my iPad, it shows immediately on my iPhone.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think the problem might be that you are trying to synch too many accounts to Notes. Could you try unsynching the Google accounts and just leaving the iCloud synched?

OP
anneUK

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've now moved all my notes to iCloud folders and have unsynched all other accounts. Unfortunately, they are still not synching between iPhone and iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to icloud.com on a computer and sign in with your account. Check the Notes app there and see if the iPhone notes are syncing to iCloud from both the iPad and the iPhone.

If all notes are present at icloud.com, on the iPhone try turning off Note syncing in Settings > iCloud, and tell it to delete all notes when prompted. This only deletes the iCloud notes on the iPhone. Evertying at icloud.com and the iPad will remain. Once you are sure the notes are gone from the iPhone, turn Note syncing back on.

With luck this unlink whatever note syncing errors that have cropped up.

You can try this with the iPad too. Just make sure the notes are correct at icloud.com first. As long as the notes are there, they will sync back to yoru devices when syncing is turned back on.

OP
anneUK

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have now followed your instructions, also backed up phone & iPad. I decided to delete quite a lot of notes from my iPad but they haven't disappeared from my phone. I've waited a while for them to synch but nothing seems to be happening.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could try signing out the iCloud on each of the devices and then signing in again. That fixed a syncing problem I had on my iPad with the Calendar App.

OP
anneUK

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. I did that. Signed back in again and, once again, all my deleted notes have been restored to both my phone and iPad.
This is driving me mad. It looks like iCloud is not updating at all.

OP
anneUK

anneUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've cleared all the Notes I don't want on web based iCloud.
I've typed a note on my iPhone and one on my iPad.
How long should I wait for them to sync - they haven't done it yet!

Most reactions

Latest posts