What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not charging via usb connected to laptop

samhor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I purchased an ipad today and it charges fine with the usb cable when connected to an eletric socket but when i have plugged the usb cable directly into the laptop it does not charge. The Ipad is detected when connected to the laptop as it opens up itunes and allows me to sync etc but does not charge. The battery logo in the top corner of the screen does not move and it does not show up at charging in i tunes.

I would rather charge via the usb cable connected to the laptop as it saves electricity. Can anyone help?

jthessin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can only charge via USB on a Mac.

I believe it's only on Mac laptops built after 2009 as well but I am not sure about that last part

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do a quick search, the USB on most pc's doesn't have the needed power, it's been discussed here a few times. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

samhor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was charging it earlier on here and since i have done the update it is no longer working. I have googled this and found several other people complaining about this.

My PC is not an imac and is running microsoft 7

OP
S

samhor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
there was no problem earlier

Do a quick search, the USB on most pc's doesn't have the needed power, it's been discussed here a few times. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

What is the needed power to charge via usb?

Also can you purchase a hub for the needed speed to charge up via USB.

It was working fine earlier.

I did find the below on another site -
Doesn't Charge From Usb After 4.2 Update?

I updated my ipad last night, and everything went well except when I saw that after the update finished the ipad said "Not charging" in the higher right corner, when before the update it was actually charging.
I didn't change anything just installed the update. So what is the deal? Is this new update making the ipad consume more energy and cannot be charged via usb anymore?

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should be able to use a powered usb hub that plugs in to the wall, I have one and it works fine.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is the design of the PC they do not allow for usb devices greater than 5 watts however the iPad draws 10 watts. In saying that it trickle charges the iPad There may be solutions but at the end of the day plug it into the wall socket as power usage is so small you will not notice it

Apple however does support 10 watt charging on all USB ports on all computers going back at least 3 years.

OP
S

samhor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is the design of the PC they do not allow for usb devices greater than 5 watts however the iPad draws 10 watts. In saying that it trickle charges the iPad There may be solutions but at the end of the day plug it into the wall socket as power usage is so small you will not notice it

Apple however does support 10 watt charging on all USB ports on all computers going back at least 3 years.

My laptop is under a year old :_)

Most reactions

Latest posts