What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging from computer?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The keyboard on any Mac is low power. It may sync but will not charge. I will check with my support guy but I think the rear ports on Mac pro are high power front are low but unsure

Last edited:

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried the rear USB port on my Mac Pro, no luck. I guess I'll just get a high powered hub when I find an iPad compatible one ;).

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes,

Charging from some USB ports, especially on PCs,
will not work.

Here is an article on MaximumPC, discussing this.

Apple apparently designed the IPad to need just a bit more than the USB 2.0 standard.
Many people are suggesting it is a plot to make PCs look bad in comparison to Apple.

It appears any powered (with a power cord plugged in) USB hub, should work.
Probably an easy cheap fix. But it is annoying.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will most definitely charge USB linked to a pc...as mentioned before, utilizing a well powered USB port is mandatory.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes,

Charging from some USB ports, especially on PCs,
will not work.

Here is an article on MaximumPC, discussing this.

Apple apparently designed the IPad to need just a bit more than the USB 2.0 standard.
Many people are suggesting it is a plot to make PCs look bad in comparison to Apple.

It appears any powered (with a power cord plugged in) USB hub, should work.
Probably an easy cheap fix. But it is annoying.

I don't think it was to make it incompatible with windows....my portable hard drive requires more power than most pcs and g5s as well.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree of course Apple did not make the ipad to not charge on PCs why would they. Frankly I will charge mine when I get it from a power source as I do with 2 iPhones and a iPod touch the only reason I connect any of the above to a mac or a pc is when we have to update and sync and that's it. I also use in car charger with my Parrot connected to my iPhone

The ipad will charge in sleep mode but much slower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...Frankly I will charge mine when I get it from a power source as I do with 2 iPhones and a iPod touch the only reason I connect any of the above to a mac or a pc is when we have to update and sync and that's it. I also use in car charger with my Parrot connected to my iPhone

So do I. I rarely charge my iPhone through my MacBook Pro, typically I put it into the Bose-Bookbox in my bedroom, so I get it fresh charged in the morning. The iPad won't fit in there, so I have to have another powersource there.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think it was to make it incompatible with windows....my portable hard drive requires more power than most pcs and g5s as well.
To be clear, I want to stress that I do not believe the conspiracy theories.

Was just reporting the chatter.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lol.....don't you know, that Apple is evil and hates all stuff from Redmond or which has a Penguin on it........

Actually a pretty interesting concept......indulge and addict the market with nice looking, fancy toys (which btw. do what they are supposed to do) and then make sure, that you only can charge them with a Mac. :D

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kheldour said:
lol.....don't you know, that Apple is evil and hates all stuff from Redmond or which has a Penguin on it........

Actually a pretty interesting concept......indulge and addict the market with nice looking, fancy toys (which btw. do what they are supposed to do) and then make sure, that you only can charge them with a Mac. :D
Lol. That is so funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts