Not able to launch setting

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Akern1, May 4, 2012.

1. Akern1

Akern1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I cannot seem to launch my Settings function on my IPad-2? I hit the icon and it goes to a "white page" that appears it is trying to launch, but then poof it just return to the start. I have tried to reset, but doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

2. giradman

giradman iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +999 / 0
    Hi Akern1 - welcome to the forum! :) Just as a reminder, you left the same post in two different forums - not a good idea and against forum rules; just adds to confusion for those wishing to respond and hopefully a mod will be along to close one of the duplicated posts.

Now, I looked at your first post in mid-April in which you state that your iPad was dropped! Have you had any other mis-behaviours on the device, i.e. other apps not working properly, hardware issues, etc.? If so, you might need to have the iPad checked out at an Apple store?

For starters & if not already done, please 'Force Close' the Settings app, i.e. double tap the home button (or use multi-fingering gesturing by swiping up) to open the multitask bar at the bottom, find the 'Settings' app; press and hold until all jiggle, then hit the minus button on the app); return to the home screen and try again.

If the above does not correct the problem, then 'Restart' and if not effective 'Reset' the iPad - directions HERE, if not familiar w/ the maneuvers - good luck and post back your results!

3. Midranger4

Midranger4 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    When you say reset do you remove the setting icon from the background task bar prior to restart?

4. Akern1

Akern1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep, i remove the icon from the background task bar, I even reset my whole iPad. The problem is intermittent!

5. Akern1

Akern1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry about that, I really have no idea of what I am doing in here, so what is the difference between a "forum" and a "discussion"? So my problem is intermittent, I was hoping to fid some pattern for it's occurrence or it's ability to relaunch, and so far nothing seems to make sense. The problems occurred way before I dropped my iPad. Right now it is not launching.

6. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    I wonder if a restoration to factory settings is in order here? Given the stated problem, I think it's what I would consider.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

7. Midranger4

Midranger4 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I'm with Kevin on this primarily because we aren't dealing with a third party app but rather a function of the OS.

Do you have a recent backup prior to the problem manifesting? iCloud backup possibly? It need not be one performed from within iTunes via USB necessarily.

8. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    That's what I thought. If it was an app I'd say simply delete it and reinstall, but this seems more serious. I would save as much data as I could then do a restore. I wouldn't bother too much about doing a backup either. I'd rebuild from scratch.

9. Akern1

Akern1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I am pretty new To this thing, what is involved in "rebuilding" from scratch? Is it complicated? Thanks for your help!

10. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    Not complicated but potentially tedious. Restorer to factory settings then download all of your apps again.

If you still have problems you have a hardware fault.

You would need to save any data first, and make sure you remember your AppleID and password.

11. Akern1

Akern1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, I think I have done this before, where you re- download the operating system through iTunea, right? on another note, I have space in iCloud but I have no idea how to load or save things to it, I also have a Dropbox account where I save my documents. Any suggestions on where to find a guide for using iCloud? Thanks.

12. Midranger4

Midranger4 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Here ya go:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/