What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sound in headphones

ncbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My headphone Jack does not seem do go all the way in the headphone Jack on my ipad and I get no sound in the headphones. I have 2 different sizes of jacks, one is too small and the other does not go in far enough. This headphone plugs into my iPod and works there.
Ncbrew

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use some standard earbuds that came with my wife's iPod. I was experiencing no sound as well, but then i found out I just needed to push harder. Then it went all the way in and produced sound.

OP
N

ncbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found the problem.

My headphone Jack does not seem do go all the way in the headphone Jack on my ipad and I get no sound in the headphones. I have 2 different sizes of jacks, one is too small and the other does not go in far enough. This headphone plugs into my iPod and works there.
Ncbrew

I found the problem. When you unplug the headphones the music goes to "pause" and you have to click the start arrow.

Sorry

Ncbrew

epoche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use some standard earbuds that came with my wife's iPod. I was experiencing no sound as well, but then i found out I just needed to push harder. Then it went all the way in and produced sound.

I found same solution, issue. Just push Jack clear to bottom not being afraid to use a little force.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes the pause happens mostly due to when you insert or pull the headphones plug, the device thinks your pressing the controls on the Apple stock headphone button pausing the media on the iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone.

Especially if you don't insert it all the way, we get customers complaining of this all the time. Because of the "short" as you plug or unplug the phones, you may also hear a "pop" in the headphones as well.

2008-08-12_0249.jpg
photo from GeekSpeak.org

It's the ground shorting against the other contacts as you push in the plug that makes these "shorts" happen.

Just a little techie info from a guy that has repaired many if not thousands of headphones, jacks, plugs and circuit boards due to headphone plug forcing by user or surroundings against other components or just plain ole' abuse.

Ady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I had the same problem solved by applying a little pressure while inserting the earphone plug as suggested.

napaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to use Bose QuietComfort3 headphones with iPad? The Bose jack does not want to fit into the iPad. Is that a similar problem to yours?

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to use Bose QuietComfort3 headphones with iPad? The Bose jack does not want to fit into the iPad. Is that a similar problem to yours?

What size Jack does it have. As I recall the iDevices use 3.5mm jacks...

Reaction score
Take risk, push it further!

Yes as told others, pushnthe headphone lead further in the hole so that all the metal part is in.
Try listening, it worked for me.

Cheers!

sTechnical

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could try a reset to see if that corrects the problem.
Reset iPad: Press and hold the On/Off Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears..
may this help u..
thanks....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Reset iPad didn't fix the headphone problem

I tried resetting the iPad, but still the headphone doesnt works. I think pushing it hard and deep inside is the only fix, bad though, not sure what can break inside.
:p

Reaction score
I have a similar problem, my earphones used to work until yesterday but i dont know why, all of my earphones and headphones are not working anymore with my iPad. I tried pushing hard but still not working. Is there some settings i've mistakely changed? What can i do for it to come back like before?

Thank you very much.

Becky B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SOLUTION: Headphones no longer work on iPad

I had the same problem: suddenly my headphones didn't work on my iPad. All the headphones (3 pairs) worked on my iPhone, so I knew the problem wasn’t with the headphones. The sound worked fine from the iPad speakers, so when I unplugged the headphones, the sound returned. I called AppleCare Support and tried everything they suggested, including restoring it to the factory settings. Nothing worked, and they authorized a replacement iPad.

The new iPad arrived, but it had the same problem, so I knew something had changed in the iPad's programming. I went online and found that many others were having the same problem, but no one offered a solution. However, someone mentioned that the problem first occurred after installing the latest OS (4.3.3), which is when my iPad’s problem occurred. Next, someone else wanted to know if there was a mute switch that needed to be turned off. This started me thinking...

To make a long story as short as possible, I played around with the controls on my old iPad and discovered the following: Apparently, the latest OS has added a safety feature to protect our eardrums (that’s nice, but it would be even nicer to have been notified of this change.. even the support technicians were unaware of it). Previously, when you listened to the audio through the iPad’s speakers, the sound was so low that you had to turn the volume up as high as possible to hear it. Then when you plugged in the headphones, the sound blasted your eardrums as you frantically lowered the volume.

PROBLEM:
Now, however, WHEN YOU PLUG IN THE HEADPHONES, THE IPAD AUTOMATICALLY MUTES THE SOUND. When you unplug the headphones, the sound is automatically restored, giving you the false impression that there is something wrong with the headphones or the headphone jack.

SOLUTION:
After plugging in the headphones, you have to use the volume button to bring the sound back up to the desired level. When you press the volume button, it will say “headphones†on the display to let you know that you are adjusting the sound for the headphones only. The speaker volume retains its previous setting (maximum volume).

So, the solution is quite simple… just turn up the volume after you attach the headphones.

Cheers!

Becky B

Shulaya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Becky B!!

I tried your solution for the headphones and it works like a charm. :). I was all set and ready to go to the Apple store closest to me, and you saved me a trip. I never would have thought that the software would automatically set the dheadphones to mute. Needless to say, I will make sure I pass this pearl of wisdom to any who ask.

Most reactions

Latest posts