What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Service "Could not activate cellular data network"

OP
I

ignatzthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally made it to Apple (75 miles distant). "Tekkie" tried three SIM cards, one from a new IPAD2 (right out of the box), one from another existing pad used by them; neither worked. Removed SIM card from his own IPhone and that one worked. So, replaced SIM card but also "sucked the software guts out and replaced with new." So two things: "Replaced" software and SIM card. (It was a tedious endeavor because I had to e-mail to myself all my pertinent information that was on the existing software. Fortunately since I'd had the pad for just a short time I only had some pics that I had to send to servers.
I have several other issues that I have to return to Apple to take care of which I will probably convey in a future post.

The gentleman that helped me admitted that there are "issues" with software/hardware/SIM cards.......in the IPAD2......."Too many manufacturers scattered in too many places" (in so many words).

I hope my experience will help someone else.

OP
I

ignatzthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wanted to inform all those who replied with suggestions I have solved the problems I had with my IPAD2.

Two "bad" SIM cards; re-installed software by Apple Store in Modesto; and AT&T (cellular service) redoing their own records which contributed to the malfunctioning SIM cards.

Thanks again. :eek:

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey thanks for this I have too had the same issue and I tried a pay as you go and a pay monthly sim, I've not had any issues for a week or so but I will monitor it and see if it happens again. When you say the software replaced I assume you mean restore the iPad. I don't want to do this yet as I don't use a pc but it's interesting to know how to solve it. Thanks

One thing I did notice though is that mine came back to life after 6-7 hours? Then worked great at full signal it then happened again and roughly the same timescale before it came back on this was a week ago and have had no issues since? One was morning the other was at night. I'm also in the UK so it must be the sim rather than the carrier?
But how comes the issue has only arose since the start of the year? Mine went down first time on the day of the solar storm.......:0

Last edited:

Most reactions