What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Service "Could not activate cellular data network"

ignatzthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received Christmas gift IPAD 2.....When home IPAD worked ok...Worked fine from 12-25-11 until Jan 1, 2012. AT&T wireless phone is service. I live in the Sierras (CA) but my cell works fine. The IPAD worked until New Years Day...then "No Service" in left hand corner; tried several "hot spots" (and even better reception for cell phone)around the area, IPOD did "Searching" but, nothing. "No Service". Then starting getting pop-up window: "Could not activate cellular data network".
I contacted the "gifter" and he contacted AT&T and they confirmed that my IPAD 2 was "in service" and should be working.
I have not changed any settings, etc.
I see by browser searching (my "other" computer) that this may be a common problem.
Anybody got any answers?

:eek:

Mavlar81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ignatzthecat said:
Received Christmas gift IPAD 2.....When home IPAD worked ok...Worked fine from 12-25-11 until Jan 1, 2012. AT&T wireless phone is service. I live in the Sierras (CA) but my cell works fine. The IPAD worked until New Years Day...then "No Service" in left hand corner; tried several "hot spots" (and even better reception for cell phone)around the area, IPOD did "Searching" but, nothing. "No Service". Then starting getting pop-up window: "Could not activate cellular data network".
I contacted the "gifter" and he contacted AT&T and they confirmed that my IPAD 2 was "in service" and should be working.
I have not changed any settings, etc.
I see by browser searching (my "other" computer) that this may be a common problem.
Anybody got any answers?

:eek:

Something similar happened to me and what I did was turn off my iPad 2 and take the micro sim out and then reinsert it then turned my iPad back on and it worked

Sent from my i

OP
I

ignatzthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also removed the SIM card, returned it to the slot but no dice!
I now have experienced this a second time after visiting AT&T local store; having a new SIM AT&T card inserted; everything worked great for another 7-8 days...and now, January 16, again, "No Service".....
Anybody know about how the "magnetic cover" might affect the SIM card?

Mavlar81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ignatzthecat said:
I now have experienced this a second time after visiting AT&T local store; having a new SIM AT&T card inserted; everything worked great for another 7-8 days...and now, January 16, again, "No Service".....

The smart cover shouldnt affect the SIM at all, maybe another member can bring there expertise to this issue, have you took it to your local Apple Store yet by any chance?

Sent from my iPad 2

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ignatzthecat said:

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The magnetic cover shouldn't affect this at all, I have the cover and have not had your problems. I guess you've checked your settings. Have you done a reset of your iPad? Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. Give this a go and see if it persists and let us know.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Last edited:
OP
I

ignatzthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried the "deep reboot".....holding both power off and home off...but no response to cellular service. The weird part is that I have wireless service but no phone service; I suppose that phone service is secondary to wireless but this situation hasn't changed from when I had no wireless service, and still had good (my cellular) phone reception (three bars) and my IPAD just quit cellular service. Have checked the settings and same settings from when everything worked ok.
My next stop will be Apple Store which is 75 miles away but will do it next week.....
I will try to remember to site anything they do.....here......
In the meantime I hope that maybe someone else has some ideas......

Thx for all your efforts

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try switching 3G off and then on again. This fixed a friend's phone having this problem.

OP
I

ignatzthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried that....turned off for at least 20 seconds.....then back on...all I got is "searching" then, again..."No Service"

Thx

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your SIM card might've gone bad. It happens. Go get a new one from AT&T. If that doesn't work, take it to an Apple store. Sounds like you've already done the other troubleshooting basics.

OP
I

ignatzthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I'm making "progress" on the problem.....Open IPAD....go to "Settings", "Cellular Data".....then go to "View Account"....in my case it comes up with window: "Invalid SIM Card"....So it's off either to AT&T or Apple Store.....
My son who gifted this to me Christmas called me and told me that he also gave his wife an IPAD2 for Christmas and they have a similar problem.
Either it's a bad batch of SIM cards or a problem with particular IPAD2's or both. My son has had an IPAD2 since mid last year and has not had this problem.
Maybe someone from Apple will read this and comment......forget a comment from AT&T except probably, "get lost"!
Thx for all your comments....
I will update when I have gotten some answers.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like either a faulty SIM card or a faulty SIM tray in the iPad. Try cleaning the SIM card with a soft cloth, bit is sounds to me like it could be a hardware issue.

OP
I

ignatzthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure if my last "reply" went through.....I went to "settings"; "Cellular Service"; "View Account".....came up with message, "Invalid SIM Card"......

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I posted earlier, it's not unusual to get a dud SIM card. If that's your prob, just get a new one from your carrier.

Most reactions

Latest posts