What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News From Japan Says Apple Planning LTE 4G iPads and iPhones for 2012

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
3733-ntt-docomo.JPG

AppleInsider has a story today based on a report from Japan’s Nikkei Business which states that Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo is currently holding talks with Apple with a view to launching an LTE-capable iPad in mid 2012, to be followed by a 4G LTE iPhone in fall 2012. According to the unconfirmed report, NTT DoCoMo executives travelled to the US in November for talks with Apple CEO Tim Cook, which are said to have revolved around Apple’s forthcoming LTE-ready iPhones and iPads. However, AppleInsider points out that the accuracy of the report is called into question by a previous report earlier in the month in the Wall Street Journal, which said that Apple’s negotiations with NTT DoCoMo had stalled, with Apple allegedly refusing to grant the Japanese carrier permission to install its own proprietary software on the new iPhones and iPads. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the latest rumour from Nikkei Business is not true, of course, as its always possible that negotiations have resumed and the original stumbling block between the two parties has been resolved. As ever, we'll just have to wait and see!

Source: AppleInsider | Apple said to be discussing 2012 launches of LTE 4G iPad, iPhone with carriers

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not especially interested in 4G, especially if it means a loss in battery life or if it means I must trade my grandfathered unlimited 3G plan for less data at a higher price. My current 3G and wi-fi speeds work fine for me.

Better screen resolution, significantly lighter weight or 7" form factor would get me to buy a new iPad without hesitation. I'd pass on 4G if that's the next big upgrade.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not especially interested in 4G, especially if it means a loss in battery life or if it means I must trade my grandfathered unlimited 3G plan for less data at a higher price. My current 3G and wi-fi speeds work fine for me.

Better screen resolution, significantly lighter weight or 7" form factor would get me to buy a new iPad without hesitation. I'd pass on 4G if that's the next big upgrade.

You might not feel that way if you use 4G/LTE regularly. :) It's very addictive. As far as losing your grandfathered 3G plan, that depends on the carrier, I suspect. At least on Verizon and for the 4G/LTE smartphones now available you can retain your unlimited data plan when you switch phones. And as far as battery life is concerned, it's difficult to come up with a definitive answer but here's a data point. My 4G/LTE Verizon hotspot runs 4G when it's in a 4G area and 3G otherwise. It appears (based on a rough guess) that the battery power consumption is about 20% greater in 4G areas. On the other hand, bandwidth contention is much higher for 3G networks and that plays into both speed and battery consumption.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might not feel that way if you use 4G/LTE regularly. :) It's very addictive. As far as losing your grandfathered 3G plan, that depends on the carrier, I suspect. At least on Verizon and for the 4G/LTE smartphones now available you can retain your unlimited data plan when you switch phones. And as far as battery life is concerned, it's difficult to come up with a definitive answer but here's a data point. My 4G/LTE Verizon hotspot runs 4G when it's in a 4G area and 3G otherwise. It appears (based on a rough guess) that the battery power consumption is about 20% greater in 4G areas. On the other hand, bandwidth contention is much higher for 3G networks and that plays into both speed and battery consumption.

I doubt that AT&T would give me unlimited 4G for the 30 bucks that I pay now.

Battery wise, I get at least 10 hours with my 3G switched on nonstop. As you mentioned, once you get used to having something (10 hours in this case), getting less isn't appealing. If it comes down to trading battery life for speed, which I already find acceptable, I don't see a need. YMMV.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

AMEN on re loss of unlimited data plan especially on iPad. I only have that on my iPhone.

Sent from my Tricked Out, Sparkly Pink Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts