What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Browser Recommendations?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a number of news browsers, but many of them seem to be focused on Britain. I will notice all of a sudden that many of the headlines pertain to local events in England.

Now this is not intended as a putdown to my British brethren, and I am sure that other folks run into similar problems with other "country-centric" apps. I do like to read stories about what is happening in other countries. But here is an example of the problem. One of my reader apps has a provision for "US News," but I occasionally see a headline there about a Liverpool rugby match (for example). Again, no putdown against my Liverpuddlian compatriots.

But I would like to have a news reader that is US-centric and is focused on news articles (phooey on ABC News, etc, with all those videos.) And, if there is any such things nowadays as unbiased journalism, that would be nice.

Can anyone offer a recommendation?

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally, I use Flipboard. It allows me to pick the news feeds I want to read.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, believe it or not most U.S. news does occasionally mention England. ;)

If you can find it in the U.K. App Store try USA Today.

From the sound of things you are not after an RSS reader, but a newspaper style app. If you do want an RSS reader then Skull One's recommendation is solid, though I prefer Reeder. Both will sync with Google Reader, making it 'mostly' easy to search for and add sources.

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well i have had several news apps in the past and i think the best one is Newsflash its brilliant time you have read it all it would be time to read all the latest stories there is so much in the app its really good worth downloading for nothing i highly recommend it. I have deleted all my old news apps and just use news flash

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well i have had several news apps in the past and i think the best one is Newsflash its brilliant time you have read it all it would be time to read all the latest stories there is so much in the app its really good worth downloading for nothing i highly recommend it. I have deleted all my old news apps and just use news flash

Thanks Pommie, I will check Newsflash out. And, again, no reflection on my pommie friends. That just happened to be the thing that caught my attention as I tried to catch up on mre local news.

P. S. Gave it a download. I think it“s the best I have tried, at least at first blush. BTW, is my impression correct---that GB puts out more news reader apps than other country? Is GB a nation of news junkies?

Last edited:
OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is an instance of the problem I have been referring to here. Actually this appears in Newsflash, which I have set to its "US" version.

In the "World News" section, the first headline I see right now is "First class postage stamp to be 60p." It is attributed to the BBC.

Now that might certainly be important to folks in GB, but I hardly see it as "world news!" Would folks in Liverpool be that interested in postage stamp prices in the US? Sure, maybe a few, but hardly a global story!

Now I can start my rant about stories labeled "breaking opinion," as many are these days. What an oxymoron!

Most reactions