What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad/iPhone file browser (iPhone Explorer) no longer working after iTunes update

ben543250

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes freezes up on me a lot when I connect my iPad 2, so I prefer to add files to apps using a file browser like iPhone Explorer. However, after this most recent iTunes/Quicktime update, this and other programs like it don't work.

My computer is running Windows XP SP3 (yeah, I know it's old, but I'm not made of money!). I have an iPad 2 with the most recent iOS version installed.

Here's the error message iPhone Explorer gives me:

"iPhone Explorer is unable to load the app directories because the version of CoreFoundation.dll installed on your system doesn't work properly. This sucky DLL likely got on to your computer because of a recent update in the Safari web browser. Because this sucky DLL is shared between many other Apple programs, reverting back to the non-sucky version is more complicated than just uninstalling and reinstalling a couple programs. We recommend waiting a couple months for the next Safari update and hopefully Apple will have this stuff fixed then."

I don't have Safari installed on my computer. Just iTunes (and Quicktime). I've checked their support site and it doesn't say anything more than the error message I posted. The issue is they're blaming it on a new version of Safari, which I don't even have installed on my computer. I think it was the new update of Quicktime, which came out on August 4th.

As a result, you can't browse the app directories, so you can't add any files to apps. I tried uninstalling iTunes and replacing it with an older version, but it wouldn't open because it said the library file was created by a "newer version." I'm also having some trouble even getting iTunes to show the files in my apps (under iPad -> Apps -> scroll to bottom of the screen), but that might just be a symptom of my old iTunes-freezing problems.

I'm kind of stuck. Anyone else experience this problem or have any suggestions? Is there any way to overwrite this CoreFoundation.dll with an older version? For example, if I installed the previous version of Safari, would that overwrite it?

Thanks!!

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For a short term alternative you could try diskAid, also give's you access to root folder. If you're a student I believe it's free.

Last edited:

smizatch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
good alternative

Thanks worked great as an alternative to Iphone explorer.

OP
B

ben543250

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPhone Explorer still isn't work, but DiskAid works great! I think I like it better than my old program! Thanks for indirectly solving my problem!

Most reactions

Latest posts