What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbies might not know this...............................

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not necessary to "flick away" apps you've used before. In fact, it's only necessary when an app misbehaves.

If you "force close" an app, it has to load completely when you use it again. If you keep the app in the App Switcher (don't flick it away), loading it completely is not necessary, and it will load faster.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Secondly, is after a few days surfing, I double press the Home button, previous pages appear like the pages of a book and if they are "flicked away", this also help the ipad load quicker.

Well, I'm in complete agreement w/ Johanna, i.e. 'force closing' apps in the belief that the iPad will run faster or make a substantial difference on battery life has almost become an 'urban legend' and is completely unnecessary and a waste of time - a google search to support this view will generate plenty of hits, such as HERE.

As to prolonging 'battery charge & life', for starters checkout Apple's Advice - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
However, clearning out tabs in Safair (the first suggestion) is not a bad idea. I tend to close tabs when I'm thorugh with a site. I can't imagine having 36 tabs open in Safari.

It probably won't effect the overall operation of the iPad, but might reduce crashes and other odd behavior. Mostly, it would just bug me to have all those tabs open.

On the other hand I have the Tab Bar turned on, so lots of open tabs would be hard to ignore.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP - yes, those Safari tabs can accumulate - for myself, I try to keep my tabs on browsers to 6-8 or less, but some like dozens open so certainly can be an issue - one option at least in Safari is to hit the overlapping pages icon in the right upper icon which will present the image below - easy from there to hit the 'X's of those tabs no longer desired. Dave :)
IMG_5237.PNG

Most reactions