What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

newbie to iPad - sync questions

toddw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I saw a couple of questions on this topic but not specifically what I am looking for. When I synch my iPad it wants to xfer all my apps, including those I bought for my iPod touch which I do not want on my iPad. When I tell it not to synch it says it will delete ALL apps on the iPad, not what I want either. How do I get it to let me synch only the apps (and videos, for that matter) that I want and not them all? Do I set it to only checked items on the summary screen and manage it all manually? Thanks for the help.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Open your iTunes account. Click on the "Edit" tab in the tool bar. Then click on the "Devices" tab in the window that pops up. Check the box marked "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from synching automatically." Now you can control what to synch each time.

OP
T

toddw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it's an all-or-nothing thing - you can't set the ipod to auto synch and the ipad to not?

Reaction score
toddw said:
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it's an all-or-nothing thing - you can't set the ipod to auto synch and the ipad to not?

To prevent the iPad from auto syncing, connect the iPad to your PC, open iTunes and go to the iPad found under devices, then you can set a checkmark at "Sync only checked songs and videos" and it will only sync manually, while your iPod will still sync automatically.

Nessaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can always choose what you wanna sync.
Connect your device and run itunes->click your device->select the source on top of the main panel(music, apps,etc.)->mark or unmark as you wish.

OP
T

toddw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's how I thought it might work, thanks for confirming that each device can be set to synch to its own preferences.

Most reactions

Latest posts