What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad & Kindle Sync

suefromealing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having real problems syncing my ipad to my kindle. The Kindle has the most recent page read. Both devices are wi-fi connected. I've re-booted the ipad and pressed the bottom right of the screen to sync it. I've turned the kindle off and on and still the ipad won't sync. Also when it's the otherway round, I always have a message on the kindle that 'I'm unable to retrieve the furthest location read. What am I missing?

toddniem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having real problems syncing my ipad to my kindle. The Kindle has the most recent page read. Both devices are wi-fi connected. I've re-booted the ipad and pressed the bottom right of the screen to sync it. I've turned the kindle off and on and still the ipad won't sync. Also when it's the otherway round, I always have a message on the kindle that 'I'm unable to retrieve the furthest location read. What am I missing?

Are you connected to a wifi network when turning each device off??

Rojam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did a search and found this forum. Just joined. My problem is just opposite. I have an iPad 2 with a Kindle app and my wife has a Kindle fire. When I purchase books from Amazon they come to both devices. If we are reading the same book, which happens often, my bookmarks affects her Kindle. Is there any way to "un-synch" our devices with out affecting downloads.

Thanks.

Blue2swing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can turn off auto-sync/whisper-sync on each device. Just follow these steps,

Syncing Material Across Your Devices

If you read the same Kindle Store book across multiple Kindles, you'll find Whispersync makes it easy for you to switch back and forth. Whispersync synchronizes the bookmarks and furthest page read among devices registered to the same account. Whispersync is on by default to ensure a seamless reading experience for a book read across multiple Kindles.

To turn Whispersync off:

Visit the Manage Your Kindle page.
Scroll down to "Manage synchronization between devices. Learn more." and select "Learn more."
Select "Turn Synchronization off."

Once you turn synchronization off, your books will still open to the last page read on that device, but Whispersync will no longer sync bookmarks or the furthest page read with other devices. If you would like to sync the book manually, press the Menu button and select "Sync to Furthest Page Read."

Found this on Amazons site :). However, I'm not sure what kind of affect downloading new books will have on your current bookmarks. Good luck :).

Rojam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blue2swing and toddniem,
Thanks to both of you for quick response. I will give it a go and see what happens. I'm assuming that I just need to reverse the process when downloading books to insure they are sent to both devices.
Again, thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rojam said:
Blue2swing and toddniem,
Thanks to both of you for quick response. I will give it a go and see what happens. I'm assuming that I just need to reverse the process when downloading books to insure they are sent to both devices.
Again, thanks.

Correct,whisper synch has to be turned on to download books to the devices. Unfortunately this will also synch bookmarks between devices. Maybe the best solution is to make sure both of you are not reading the same book at the same time.

Last edited:

avanrij

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a Kindle Touch for my 10 year old son so it is registered in my name. I use Kindle app on my iPad. How do I stop the two from sync-ing? I don't want his books on my iPad and I ceratinly don't want him to see my books on his Kindle. Help!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
avanrij said:
I bought a Kindle Touch for my 10 year old son so it is registered in my name. I use Kindle app on my iPad. How do I stop the two from sync-ing? I don't want his books on my iPad and I ceratinly don't want him to see my books on his Kindle. Help!!

You'll have to register your son's kindle in his name to stop syncing between your kindle app and his kindle.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do I do that?

The only way for your son NOT to see your books or interfere with your whispersync progress (should you both be reading the same book) is for him to be on his own account. You can't "block" him on your account; it's all or nothing.

So, what Scifan said is the only thing you can do - make your son an account of his own. But, then, he won't be able to share your books and you'll have to manage it separately.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can loan your purchased books to each other. You have to go to the website to do that, not in the Kindle app on the iPad.

Grinchy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MattIM said:
You can loan your purchased books to each other. You have to go to the website to do that, not in the Kindle app on the iPad.

Hi - you can only loan books if you are in USA, you cannot do it in UK.

Most reactions

Latest posts