What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie - can't set up Gmail or Yahoo.

Bob331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad2 and am setting it up. I am having problems setting up my Gmail and Yahoo mail accounts using my home wireless network. I followed all of the instructions in the user manual but nothing works.

It looks like the iPad recognizes the wireless network, but when I try to set up Gmail, for example, it just hangs up - "verifying". After a while I get a message asking me whether I want to try without using "SSL" (whatever that means). Clicking "yes" doesn't help. Then there is a message that mentions an IMAP server (have no clue as to what that is).

I apologize for not having the messages with me (I'm at my office at the moment). Perhaps from what I have said there is someone who can recognize the problem. Otherwise, when I get home tonight I'll try again and re-post.

Very frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my iPad2 and am setting it up. I am having problems setting up my Gmail and Yahoo mail accounts using my home wireless network. I followed all of the instructions in the user manual but nothing works.

It looks like the iPad recognizes the wireless network, but when I try to set up Gmail, for example, it just hangs up - "verifying". After a while I get a message asking me whether I want to try without using "SSL" (whatever that means). Clicking "yes" doesn't help. Then there is a message that mentions an IMAP server (have no clue as to what that is).

I apologize for not having the messages with me (I'm at my office at the moment). Perhaps from what I have said there is someone who can recognize the problem. Otherwise, when I get home tonight I'll try again and re-post.

Very frustrating.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

I saw your question regarding setting up your email and IMAP (there is another mail protocol called POP) - have a look here for a clear explanation of the difference

IMAP vs. POP

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For GMail, go to your GMail on a computer, or you can use Safari, but go to the bottom of the page and choose desktop, or you won't be able to do this.

Once there go to your Mail settings (if you are using the new pages it's cog icon at the top right). Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab and make sure IMAP is enabled.

Now try setting up your GMail on the iPad again.

Or you can set up your GMail as an Exchange account using these settings. It's a trade off of features, though mostly in favor of the Exchange method. You lose Note syncing but gain Contact syncing and the ability to sync multiple calendars. You can actually set up both accounts, just be sure to enable each type of service in only one of the accounts.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

Be sure to follow the last link on the page if you want to sync multiple calendars. Read the instructions carefully.

Last edited:

Most reactions