Yahoo set up error "server unavailable"

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by sincole, Jun 20, 2012.

1. sincole

sincole iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just bought an iPad 3 and tried to set up my yahoo email account just as I had done on my iPad 1 and iPhone. After a set up identical to my iPhone and iPad 1, I got the error message "server unavailable.". So I met with the Apple store genius to fix it. They had me delete my yahoo account from my iPad 1 and now I get that "server unavailable" error message on both iPads. Then the Apple genius told me it had to be a yahoo issue and to call Yahoo support. When I called yahoo support they told me they don't support iPads and hung up on me twice. Does anyone have any insight on how to fix this problem.
  2. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,355 / 0
    Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
    Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
    http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
    2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
    http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
    We have rules like any Community so please read these also
    http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

iPad 2 3G 64gb
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,201 / 1
    Yahoo has some sort of deal with Apple, of which we are not privy. The iPad account has more features than you can get with a computer and a free account. I suspect that Yahoo's support people are not used to dealing with anything but the free and paid account options available off the iPad. And truth told, maybe the support line does not support the iPad. That would be a perfectly goofy thing for them to do, but we are talking about Yahoo.

That said, Yahoo's servers are notorious for going down, and the fact that the web site works is no indication that their other servers are up. All I can recommend is wait a while and try again. This is what many Yahoo problems in the past have boiled down to.

You might want to consider a secondary email address as well; either iCloud or GMail. If Yahoo doesn't pull it's act together soon things are only going to get worse. Best to be ready for that possibility.
  4. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,120 / 1
    Seems like most email issues that i have read here on this forum are related to having yahoo account.

I have a yahoo account and use it intermittently on my iPad and iPod, have not had problems yet--thank goodness....though, it isn't my primary account so I do not use it regularly to notice problems if they arise.