What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I update to i0S5 without losing everything?

Dentasystem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an ipad 2 which I’ve filled with apps and comics and books, all paid for, but now I want to get a game which requires me to update to iOS5 (the current version is 4.02). I connect the ipad to the imac and turn on itunes. Then the message comes up that it will update to iOS5 but erase everything on the ipad! I can’t transfer anything to itunes to save because it also threatens to wipe everything from the ipad to be able to sync. I can’t use icloud because it needs to be updated to iOS5 to connect.
How can I update to OS5 without losing anything on the ipad?

Thanks,
Sandra

(maybe you can link in a thread if the questions already been answered, I couldn't find it)

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dentasystem said:
Hello,

I have an ipad 2 which IÂ’ve filled with apps and comics and books, all paid for, but now I want to get a game which requires me to update to iOS5 (the current version is 4.02). I connect the ipad to the imac and turn on itunes. Then the message comes up that it will update to iOS5 but erase everything on the ipad! I canÂ’t transfer anything to itunes to save because it also threatens to wipe everything from the ipad to be able to sync. I canÂ’t use icloud because it needs to be updated to iOS5 to connect.

Thanks,
Sandra

(maybe you can link in a thread if the questions already been answered, I couldn't find it)

Hello Dentasystem, welcome to the Forum. When you get a chance please head on over to our New Members sub-forum and introduce yourself to the rest of this community. You will also see 'stickies' that give you additional information about using this forum and very important a listing of forum rules.

As for upgrading from iOS4, here is a link that was posted when iOS5 was first offered back in the Fall of 2011. Note, if Apple continues its history of upgrades, and it has been announced too, iOS6 is on its way, so any systems as back level as iOS4 will have a lot of difficulty upgrading two new versions. It is good you are doing this upgrade from 4 to 5.

The notices you are getting about erasing all your iPad's data is related to getting a full back up of your data that is on your iPad. This is addressed in the link below. If you need further assistance, check out our sub-forum discussing the OS there are some other member generated tips or experiences that might help you understand the update process. Most of these issues are within the October to December 2011 timeframe. I hope this link helps you:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/49411-ios-5-5-0-1-upgrade-troubleshooting.html

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an ipad 2 which I’ve filled with apps and comics and books, all paid for, but now I want to get a game which requires me to update to iOS5 (the current version is 4.02). I connect the ipad to the imac and turn on itunes. Then the message comes up that it will update to iOS5 but erase everything on the ipad! I can’t transfer anything to itunes to save because it also threatens to wipe everything from the ipad to be able to sync. I can’t use icloud because it needs to be updated to iOS5 to connect.

Thanks,
Sandra

Normally, you can upgrade to a new iOS without losing any of your data. So, my question is about the iMac to which you are connecting. Is that the computer you've been syncing the iPad to since you got it? Or, have you ever synced the iPad to a computer?

Getting that "erase everything" warning only occurs if you are trying to use a computer to which the iPad has never been synced. If you've never synced the iPad to a computer or no longer have the computer with which you initially synced, let us know.

The steps to upgrading will be different - depending on what your answer is...

Marilyn

OP
D

Dentasystem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok this is good to know,

The ipad has never been synced to any computer. We have both a PC and a iMac, so which ever one will work best to sync up with and update without losing apps will be great!
Thanks for the quick responses =)

Sandra

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dentasystem said:
Ok this is good to know,

The ipad has never been synced to any computer. We have both a PC and a iMac, so which ever one will work best to sync up with and update without losing apps will be great!
Thanks for the quick responses =)

Sandra

You would probably find the iMac to be the easiest system to use as opposed to a PC. I say that even though I use a PC/laptop to do my iTunes synching. YMMV

OP
D

Dentasystem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When clicking update I get this message:

There are purchased items on the iPad that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPad. Are you sure you want to continue?
Continue/Cancel

When I click sync, they don't sync, and when I go to apps "sync" it says it will erase any apps on the iPad and replace them with apps from the computer.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
unfortunately, your problem is that you have never synced that iPad before. So, it's going to be a bit complicated to upgrade because you've got to get that iPad synced to an iTunes before you can upgrade it. All without losing your data. Which, unfortunately, I cannot guarantee won't happen, despite your best efforts.

I have never tried to sync an iPad to a new iTunes. But, I've found two links over in Apple Support that might help. They both say essentially the same thing. And, from reading the follow-up comments, the method outlined appear to work. So, here's the links:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3141

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3931604?start=0&tstart=0

Again, I've never had to do what you're facing. So, I can't really help past this point except to say good luck and I hope these links will help. Or, maybe even a call/visit to the Geniuses in the Apple store may be in order - as I am sure they've seen this scenario a number of times.

Again, sorry for the lack of assistance. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
D

Dentasystem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I think I’ve got it!

Here's how to update your iPad without losing any apps, comics, music or books.

Open iTunes
Go to iTunes store and scroll all the way to bottom, the click on account.
You can see if any PC or iMac is authorized, in my case it was 0.
With iTunes open and selected, go to the very top of the screen and click on “store” and then “authorize this computer”.
Restart iTunes and then right click on the iPad and select “Transfer Purchases”. Once that is done, right click again and select "sync iPad"
That’s where I’m at, now in theory all apps (angry birds, silly cat etc.) will be in iTunes on the iMac. I should then be able to update to iOS 5 (which will delete everything on the iPad starting fresh), and then sync back all my apps, comics, books and music through iTunes.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dentasystem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
almost there! 3 minutes left

Updating to iOS 5.1.1 will backup and restore the apps, media, contacts, calendars, notes and settings on you iPad.

OP
D

Dentasystem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Complete, and total victory for updating to iOS 5.1.1 without losing anything. I can now get Magic 2013!

Thanks everybody, I'm so happy!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dentasystem said:
Complete, and total victory for updating to iOS 5.1.1 without losing anything. I can now get Magic 2013!

Thanks everybody, I'm so happy!

Yea Dentasystem! Good for you. I hope you become an active participant here at the forum.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Woohoo! Glad to hear it all worked for you. And, thanks for coming back to tell of your success. Always nice to hear back - especially on the success stories. :)

Marilyn

Panama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As an FYI to others like me.....I also did this update and did not have problems. I have been hesitant to update my iPad2 to the new software. What I had ...4.1.1 I think...was working fine for what I use the iPad for and I did not want to kick a sleeping dog as they say so I have left it be. Why fool with something that works?
But reading about 6 coming soon made me go ahead and do the upgrade to 5.1.1 .... Anyway I used a PC as my backup and things went OK. This is a good forum and site in general...thanks IPF and Denta.....

Most reactions

Latest posts