What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member introduction from Mike Whitehouse

Lifeisaction

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Mike Whitehouse and I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I have recently purchased an iPad2 and am learning how to use it.

At the moment I am struggling with an excel spreadsheet file I downloaded through Dropbox. The first column of the file has some corruption which is not in the original file on my Windows's 7 - 64 bit computer and which did not appear on my Android smart phone when I downloaded the file to the phone through Dropbox.

My Question is what program does the iPad use to open an excel file when downloaded with Dropbox and how can I open this file with Docs To Go which I have installed to view the spreadsheet in a different excel viewer?

It is my understanding that Apps in the iPad don't share files?

Looking forward to some enlightment ...

Kindest regards,
Mike whitehouse

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there Mike and welcome.

Use the following to choose which app to open a file in when it is in Dropbox.......

image-260323585.png

You are correct that generally speaking apps don't share files but you can use Dropbox and other similar apps to allow you to move files between apps (BTW, I generally use Quickoffice for Excel files as I find the convertion to be pretty accurate).

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend. If you can't find the answer you need and you post a question then give as much info as you can to help members help you i.e. iPad 1 or 2, iOS version and name of app if the problem is with a specific app........and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

You can download the manual for your iPad here http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and in iBooks search for "iPad user guide for" and you will find free comprehensive manuals for both iOS 4 and 5.

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

The Archangel

OP
L

Lifeisaction

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you - I really appreciate the time you took to answer my question. I have downloaded the app for the forum and will look into Quickoffice as I am not that impressed with Docs to Go. One thing I like about the Dropbox is that it gives me the opportunity to password protect my files before I open them - do you know if Quickoffice offers this feature? O.K., O.K., I will look it up myself - thanks again for your time.
Kindest regards,
Mike Whitehouse

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lifeisaction said:
Thank you - I really appreciate the time you took to answer my question. I have downloaded the app for the forum and will look into Quickoffice as I am not that impressed with Docs to Go. One thing I like about the Dropbox is that it gives me the opportunity to password protect my files before I open them - do you know if Quickoffice offers this feature? O.K., O.K., I will look it up myself - thanks again for your time.
Kindest regards,
Mike Whitehouse

I'm not certain if Quickoffice offers this feature.....I seem to recall reading somewhere that it does but if it does then I can't find it!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts