New iPad 3 user - the most frustrating 7 hours of my life.......

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Jez EMIN, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jez EMIN

Jez EMIN
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Funnily, after 2 days of complete and utter frustration, including during that time that Applecare tech support has been pretty poor, I sat down for a few hours of playing with iTunes and learnt how to tidy it all up to my liking and now that I actually understand the process, I find that iTunes isn't that bad !

But boy........ was it painful. Apple totally understand this and I know I'm not alone.

What was bad, IMO was that on this fantastic piece of kit which comes in a box with hardly anything in it at all, why on earth didn't they ship it with a) the User Guide in PDF form sitting in your iBooks, b) why iBooks isn't preinstalled anyway !!! and c) A nifty little Startup Intro Video the first time you start your brand new iPad giving you a quickstart tour of what it's all about.....?????

However............... (back to iTunes),

Having said that I now like iTunes and that, now, how wonderful I think it is....... it's currently not working on my computer !!!!

And from the conversations I've had so far, it sounds as though I'll be needing to do a complete uninstall and reinstall of it (hopefully it won't undo all the work on my iPad so far.......).

2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Software is supposed to be intuitively obvious to use....if it has a well designed interface....or not if it is very sophisticated, complex software. I don't think iTunes is particular sophisticated, though it is obviously complex. The fact that it took your so long actually means it is that bad....maybe not to you anymore, but obviously people ought not to have to do that to manage an iPad or iPhone or iPad. If Jobs has made iOS that hard to use, then Apple would not have had $100Billion in the bank. iTunes is the exactly opposite of what Job's thought software should be.

3. nade1958

nade1958
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Was this biting reply necessary? Seriously?

4. kitkat3709

kitkat3709
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    There is a cool app called Tips & Tricks - iPad Secrets. Also I purchased a small book at my local bookstore called IPad for Dummies. My husband is a novice and I purchased it for him ... He just doesn't use the device much. :(

Sent from my IPad 3rd Generation 64 GB LTE Black :)

5. Jez EMIN

Jez EMIN
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Thanks a lot kitkat3709 - that little app has increased my knowledge enormously !!!!!

For example, I was getting very frustrated (again !) with the email previews, where I knew the email was spam. Thinking there must be a way of deleting an email without having to actually view it but with no way of knowing how...... this little app showed me the way !

Thanks.

And thanks to everybody who has been kind enough to offer all sorts of helpful suggestions - it really is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jez

6. Czevski

Czevski
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I frequently refer to this app. The official iPad 5.1 guide is more in depth, but I find it harder to find what I'm looking for there. When I read Tips & Tricks I find quick tips about things I hadn't even thought of trying.

7. AndyD

AndyD
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have read right through here, believing that is was where my problem lay. I've only had my iPad 2 for a day and have got everything working except that my iTunes as it defaults to iTunes U. I have not downloaded this iTunes U, have re-installed the latest iTunes from Apple, but the problem persists. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

8. campythree

campythree
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Amen brother - I spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple support just to get the thing to not keep telling me I was entering the wrong password. Then I spent about 3 hours on the phone with Amazon/Kindle support getting to a point where I could download and read a book. When I regain my strength and sanity I'm going to tackle emails next. After college I worked for IBM for a year, then entered grad school. I paid my way through grad school working part-time as a programmer in the registrar's office. Things have changed since then but I still thought I was pretty good with computers. However nothing in my past has prepared me for the challenge of the ipad. The only thing that keeps me from returning it is the knowledge that millions of people use it or its predecessors and I must be as smart as at least a couple of them.

9. kitkat3709

kitkat3709
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm so glad it helped. :)

Sent from my IPad 3rd Generation 64 GB LTE Black :)

10. the dills

the dills
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    This my first foray into the world beyond Microsoft. I'm used to a well ordered file structure where I control what goes where. I can understand the simplicity of apps storing those files which they create or display, but I find it really annoying when I have some pictures in a file app, some in another and some in the built in albums, the same goes for videos.
    it had been suggested that iTunes was the tool for organising what goes where so I gave it a go. I have a JVC camcorder that produces .mod files. These are easily converted to .mov files suitable for iPad 3 by Oxcylon media converter. The .mov file can be imported from PC by fileapp and plays perfectly, but is stuck within fileapp when I want it in movies where there are others already. So I entered iTunes on the PC, copy the file from fileapp back to the PC import it into iTunes and copy it within iTunes to my iPad video folder, only to be told by iTunes that the file will not play on the iPad.. Er hang on I just copied from the iPad!!. ITunes will convert it to a lesser than native resolution and it can be copied and played successfully. what is going on?
    ITunes would love to organise and sync all my media files but no thanks there isn't room on an iPad. I know where everything is and that's how I'd like my iPad to be. Bring on drag and drop!
    As for iCloud, it destroyed the categories in my outlook calendar. Thank heaven for backups.
    It's going be long learning curve!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.