What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie frustrations!

krisani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to Apple in particular the iPad2 which I bought for my wife.
My PC experience is intermediate, my wife's is improving greatly from beginner.
She is very impressed by the iPad but, like me, is getting very frustrated with the 'Mail' app. It is linked to our Hotmail a/c and it is deleting messages as soon as they are read. I have checked the 'trash' folder and they are there but I cannot understand why. Also, it has lost one particular email from yesterday yet it has retained the 'forwarding' email that I passed on?
Any ideas will be much appreciated.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not a Hotmail user, so I'll probably be of limited help. Hotmail uses POP3, which can be a problem when it comes to using your email from more than one device or computer.

I recommend using this link to set your Hotmail up manually (instead of the default setup). That way you can play with the settings (especially the leave on server settings) and see what they do for you.

Set up Hotmail account on iPad 2 manually

Good luck.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With Hotmail, go to Settings on iPad > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > tap to open whichever account you're trying to adjust > Advanced > Remove > tap Never

That sets to remove any email only at your choice. Or you can set it to auto-remove daily, weekly or monthly.

I use POP specifically because it lets me control email individually across three mobile devices, and my laptop.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I use POP specifically because it lets me control email individually across three mobile devices, and my laptop.

Well, I can't argue with that. If you know what you are doing you can control exactly what mail stays on what device, and sometimes that is preferable; especially if you do a lot of offline email management.

Me, I prefer the simpler experience of seeing the same thing on all devices. If I delete it, it's deleted. If I move it, it's moved. Game over. Then again, I've got fairly light email traffic, so I don't need to worry about running out of space on the servers.

There is an old saying with computers, "the more you can do, the more you have to do." The trick is finding the app (and service) that lets you do exactly what you want to do, without making you do more than you want to do.

Thanks for helping out. It's been so long since I've had a POP account I have trouble remembering how to best set it up, and I can't experiment. Maybe I should get a Hotmail account, just to expand my horizons. :D

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Different tools for different purposes.

I use POP for various reasons, including filing project and personnel emails and notes. That way, I can immediately find what I need, and only what I need, longer term. And it's backed up. For instance, I might need to look at a year's worth of one person's work when I consider raises and bonuses. But on iPad I keep only what I need short term.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Makes sense. Though I'm leery of using email as a long term archive. I have some old email archives that I can't look at, because I no longer use a compatible email program. Not that I want to look at them, but its the principle.

Yes, I know I could probably get a program that would read them or import them, but it's the principle.

Now I just print what I consider important emails as PDFs to some archive folders I've set up. It's more trouble, but it's the principle. :D

And, like I said, I don't get that much email these days. The old archives are from the days I didn't have time to be principled. :D :D

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not encountered that problem -- archives that you can't access.

That said, maybe your idea of long term differs from mine. I want to look back a few years at most. For stuff like projects and personnel emails and notes, I typically purge after a year or two. I look at past year's performance and produce an annual review that decides raise and bonus, for instance, and then the review is all I need from that year, and that goes into the company servers. We have permanent records that don't depend on my email archives.

On iPad, I keep what I might need for two weeks, deleting as I go.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, our idea of long term probably isn't that far off.

The difference is that with my traffic levels I can easily keep several years on the server, and not make a dent in my allotted storage. Heck the four years of archives I mentioned rattle around on a 1GB Flash drive.

My old emails are in Exchange's proprietary mail folder format (.pst or something, I'm not sure). I could get at it if I had a real reason, but it would be inconvenient.

And I'm fudging a bit, to be honest (though I didn't really think of it when posting earlier).

Mail on my iMac can keep files both on the local machine and on the server. I use both, and when I decide to clean up the server (not often) I'll usually copy the folders I consider important to a local one before deleting them from the online folders. So for the stuff that I probably don't/won't need, but am uncomfortable with outright disposal, I have this third option. It's also a second backup of the things I do consider important. Of course those folders could quickly become just as inconvenient to access as my old Exchange ones, so I admit to a touch of hypocrisy with this practice.

Not that the "principle" shtick was meant to be anything other than humor to begin with.

Though this might look a bit like an argument, I want to make it clear I am not trying to talk you or anyone else into abandoning POP if it fits their needs. I just having a good time comparing means and methods.

I hope you got the information you needed out of this, Krisani. If not, don't be shy. Knock us on the head to get our attention and ask away.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not at all. People should use whatever works best for them.

I mentioned why I use POP because there have been posts on the forum that steered people toward IMAP automatically, without making clear to newbies what the differences are.

I regularly use eight email accounts, the oldest dating from the early '90s. I backup selectively, because I've found over the years that saving too much makes it a pain to wade through.

My husband is an IT geek and takes care of migrating stuff when I need.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm guilty of that to some degree, though with the exception of GMail I tend to point at IMAP.

Part of that is how much easier it is for me to explain. You set up the account pretty much the same way on all devices and computer. Good POP management requires you to choose what clients delete off the server and which leave it on the server, understanding the differences, and managing your email accordingly.

The rest is just the tendency to recommend what I know best.

Which is why I'm happy there are other's here who are not at all shy recommending what they know best.

I think I'll end up getting that Hotmail account, and maybe one each of the other default setups. It won't be hard to manage a few more barely used accounts, and it won't hurt for me to shake up my habits.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend not to recommend unless people are specific that they're looking for a recommendation. Unless that's the case, I tell people what I know and figure they can decide what works best for their needs.

Most reactions