What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 3 user - the most frustrating 7 hours of my life.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mystro said:
You must learn the Apple way, NOT your way. Forget what you think you know about computers and learn how to operate the Apple way. It's like learning to speak a different language. Baby steps.

That has been my biggest challenge - to unlearn my PC ways and embrace the "dark side."

Tom

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you need to do the same thing to alot of pictures on your PC, Irfanview is a great free program that allows for batch photo processing in all sorts of creative ways. I used it to batch remove all EXIF data to get it to sort how I wanted.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jez EMIN said:
Yes but Midranger4 i don't want to scan 4.5 terabytes of hard disks - I have a huge amount of photos, music and video......

I know what I want to put onto the iPad, it's just that it doesn't seem very intuitive how to do it. And then, it doesn't allow you ANY way of viewing that stuff on your iPad in a logical order you choose to employ (okay, music is fine I can handle the way it wants to list albums/artists etc, but my Photos ?? My training videos ?? Just splatter those willy-nilly ??).....

Sorry, I'm tired, this has exhausted me ! But thanks for your help.

You can do a selective sync of photos,or any object type for that matter. If you do a selective sync you flag what folders and/or specific files are exported to the iPad.

Once resident on the iPad iPhoto can and does sort and categorize photos by date, event, or even photo image as it readily identifies photos of the same object or subject.

There are you tube videos that can help you with every question and we will help as much as we can.

Be patient, once you get past the Learning curve you will be very very satisfied. Hang in there. Feel free to PM me and I will find an appropriate way whether iPad or windows based to communicate and demonstrate the concepts. If you are open to it I would be willing to do the front end pieces via remote support and you can watch as I perform all functions but I'm sure if you take your time and watch a few videos it will click in your own mind and then you will be off and running.

Ziggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the OP:

I love my ipad 3/new ipad. Fantastic amount of fun.

That being said, all apple products are completely handicapped in some ways. What you can do, you can do really well. What you can't do, you can't do. It is a completely claustrophobic environment. It is built to do what apple has decided you need to do, nothing more.

Your frustration will not decrease until you accept the apple model.

Have fun!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First, the manual is available in several places. Most notably for new users is that it is a default bookmark in Safari. Just tap on the open book icon, scroll to the bottom of the list and tap iPad User Guide. You can also download the manual for free in the iBooks app (also free to download), or go to the link KevinJS provided for the PDF version.

There was a small card that came in your iPad's box. One side told you how to get the manual. Yes, everyone overlooks this. I certainly did.

As for the rest. The iPad comes with some decent (for the most part) but sometimes limited apps (especially true of the Photos app). To do many of the things you want, and do them well, you'll be researching and getting apps from the App Store. In this way it is no different than any other computer.

Hang in there. It all comes together.

OP
J

Jez EMIN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your support - I really appreciate the words of encouragement you've all expressed, it has indeed spurred me to 'hang in there' !!

Thanks to purchasing the PhotoSync app (not sure I need it to be honest !) I 'fixed' one problem and that was that PhotoSync very kindly informed me that for my iPad to work I needed to open certain ports on my PC computer. Now, I claim to be very computer savvy, but even I don't like/know too much about that area - anyway, yes, Kaspersky AND Windows Firewall both got the rules added to open certain ports and then I was at least seeing my iPad in that app....

That in turn fixed part of my problem with syncing Lightroom and Photosmith........ BUT this is where THE confusion came...... on Photosmith's website they allowed V2.0 of the PC side of syncing to be made available for download, while their App side is still on V1.x...... turns out this is a mistake and that V2.0 shouldn't be available (Owner of Photosmith emailed me telling me that this morning.....) - that played a big part of my troubles...... (though Photosmith in Lightroom v1.x still isn't communicating and syncing correctly with the iPad).

I think I need a basic understanding of what Syncing actually is and how to do it PROPERLY using the iPad (i.e. the right and wrong ways that'll work best).

It seems to me (and I may be totally wrong here so please cut me some slack) - but it seems that in an ideal world iTunes would be perfect and you'd use ONLY that to Sync (keep in-line ?) what's on your iPad with what you want shared off your PC.

Where things are murky to me is;

1) iTunes doesn't appear to be 'perfect' and intuitive and doesn't INSIST upfront that if you've never used this before, "go read this first" (I Googled and see that I'm not the only one who thinks certain things about iTunes).

2) That some apps (yes I'm talking about PhotoSmith) don't appear to be totally ready....... I mean, when the OWNER of the App says that V2.0 of the Lightroom plug-in should be available yet I downloaded it from his website........ PS I since visited PhotoSmith's website yet again, and this time actually read some of the stuff on it regarding installation - the MOST important part of the installation, communicating with your iPad sounded sooooooo much like it'd be the source of a solution, and it turns out to be a broken link....... aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhh !!!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried using photostream? It has a download folder and an upload folder on your PC. So when you are on wifi it will sync up photos via those two folders. Then, if you get the iPhoto app for $5, you can organize your photos on your ipad into journals. If you do a lot, you may want to get more space on iCloud. You get 5GB by default.

Frankly, I try to use iTunes as little as possible. While apparently it has the means to do a lot of stuff, it is not at all intiuitive to use. In fact, it is the least "Apple Like" software I could possibly imagine (I actually believe that Apple really never wanted iTunes on the WinTel PCs but the realized that to tap into a larger market they had to give in and create some kind of prog, and this is what we got -- a very half-baked attempt) . I think Apple really should do it over from the ground up. IMO, itunes, at least on Windows, is one of Apple's biggest failures.

Sorry to be a drag on iTunes, but I really, really hate this program.

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got an android phone too and yes it's unintuitive, but I also remember trying to assign a ringtone my nexus one when I first had it and nearly threw that in the bin!

I would create a iPad pics directory, then folders underneath, one for each album. Then these sub folders will be created as albums on the iPad. Given these are portfolio folders I don't update them on a weekly basis (I'm only a part time portrait 'tog) and good job as I hate iTunes too!

I only purchased photosmith this week, and only for key wording and rate photos before going into Lightroom!

My workflow is something thus:

Take photos (Nikon d700)
Take CF card out of camera, stick in my ancient belkin 15 in 1 card reader, and attach the USB connector from the camera kit and attach to iPad. Note, this only works because the cf slot is the first the iPad reads. Apple dropped the voltage down so the rest of the slots are unusable, but the connector kit comes wi an sd reader for my old d40 or my Olympus pen.

Photos app comes up, I tick what I want to import, then hit keep so the iPad doesn't delete my photos on the card (reformat in camera for that thanks!)

Take off connector, then I go through the photos in the last imported folder culling the obvious duds.

Plug cable into the computer, bring up the LR import dialog and import as if a camera was attached.

Disconnect the iPad and then delete the photos from the last imported folder.

Photosmith will go in there somewhere so I can get my clients preferences for their favourites before I start working on them.

There are also some nifty RAW photo apps out there, I've got photogene. Quick edit of a cycle race I was at, had the photos uploaded to Dropbox and the organiser had them on his website that night. He wasn't looking for technical perfection nor spot on WB etc, so being able to edit in the field, add copyright IPTC, etc then publish was great.

As everyone says, hang in there, it's a great piece of kit and the more you can do without going near iTunes the better!

OP
J

Jez EMIN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks ever so much guys, I really appreciate your time.

I have had a much better day and to be honest I'm a little embarrassed at my own behaviour over all of this - I've never genuinely felt so frustrated in probably 10years of personal computing - but then I guess that's to be expected (I have always felt that I'd never go to Apple in this lifetime due to never really wanting to relearn an entire OS).

Anyway, as I say, I'm getting on a lot, lot better today (glad I didn't smash the iPad up like I felt like doing late last night :) ) and whilst I was a little down with the idea of buying (did I say buying, I thought I meant 'gambling on') yet more Apps, I bit the bullet and purchased iPhoto.......

WOW !!!!!!!!

Already, I feel soooooooooooo much better !

(bear in mind I've only looked at it for less than 5mins).

Firstly, it has sorted out the ORDER of my images (something 'Photos' was screwing up) - NOW they are in the order I expect them in.

Also, I like the way it puts photos in 'journals' - looks a lot more presentable.

And I'm sure iPhoto does a lot, lot more than just these (being 160mb to download !?!?!).

So, I've learnt a fair bit and also, I'm learning that I'm not alone in being frustrated with iTunes, so I will quieten down a tad and start having more fun, it seems, with my new toy !!!!

Thanks once again - and I'll no doubt keep posting and keep you posted !

Kind regards,

Jez

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hang in there...

I just want to say that I too feel your pain... I have also newly drank of the Apple COOLaide & am frustratingly wondering around my new iPad 3 trying to get used to everything. I also have tons of MP3 files that I am really dreading having to deal with iTunes to get them on my iPad rather than being able to just "drag & drop". I haven't even installed iTunes yet on my PC until I read more & have a better understanding of how it all works. With that being said, I love my new iPad, but along with you, wish that Apple had made things a bit more intuitive... just sayin'. :)

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Look for GoodReader or FileApp in the AppStore. Those apps (and others like them) will let you store data in your iPad as a regular USB drive. You will have to go thru iTunes using the Document folder for the apps, but you will avoid the sync process.

The good side is that you'll be able to organize your files using nested folders. Some apps will also let you add manage files over wifi which is quite handy.

As for movies, look for FlexPlayer (or oPlayerHD) as it can play several format, removing the need to transcode the files. You may not be able to use AirPlay with non native format...

As for iTunes, it a bit of a pain. I don't use it as I rely mostly on GoodReader. I use Ubuntu as my main OS and it is able to access the Document folders of the apps directly, so there is no need for iTunes in my case. So basically, I drag and drop my files as I would probably do with another kind of device.

My 2 cents!

VicoPad addict!

OP
J

Jez EMIN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow !!!!!

Using FlexPlayer fixed my other problem, i.e. that all my converted MOV files which weren't coming in via iTunes now do so when imported via the Flexplayer App !!!!

Thanks guys, one by one I'm ticking off all my 1st day gripes and things are now looking a LOT lot rosier !!!!

Kind regards,

Jez

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will find that using the iPad and iTunes is not as hard as you imagined. The simplicity is often what gets people in trouble. Nothing is perfect, but for what it is designed for, the iPad and iTunes work very well. And for what does not do what we want, it usually a matter of finding the app. Good luck.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
dont know if you already know about the eye-fi SD Cards.

I can put my Eye-Fi SD card into my camera, then as I take pictures it instantly and wirelessly transfers and displays my pictures on the ipad as i take them.

Note: Eye-Fi card is not high speed, so its able to take 4 or so large pictures in a row but they you have to wait a second for it to write everything to the card before continueing. Its not going to be good if you need to take a big burst of action shots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts