What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Networking via bluetooth

Fixmy59bug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the IPad2 Wi-Fi because I have a wireless network for when i am at home and a rooted Evo 4G with wireless tether for when I am not.

I read that the iPad can access the wireless network via Bluetooth if the phone supports PUN (which the Evo does). I have tried to connect the iPad to the phone, and they see each other but not will connect.

The iPad gives me a message saying HTC EVO 4G is not supported.

Is there a way around this or am i only to use the wireless tether.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the IPad2 Wi-Fi because I have a wireless network for when i am at home and a rooted Evo 4G with wireless tether for when I am not.

I read that the iPad can access the wireless network via Bluetooth if the phone supports PUN (which the Evo does). I have tried to connect the iPad to the phone, and they see each other but not will connect.

You can only tether by Bluetooth if you jail break your iPad. Otherwise, you need to use WiFi.

The iPad only supports a few Bluetooth profiles - keyboards and wireless stereo headsets, for example. Printers and the use of Bluetooth for tethering are not supported.

Tim
Scotland

NyCrAzY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me myself has a droid x. Just download pdanet from the android marketplace and Bluetooth tether it with your iPad 2. That's what I did. And bam! Your on the Internet via bluetooth

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Bluetooth was originally designed as a wireless way to interconnect peripheral devices, i.e. printer, keyboards, mice, etc. It typically has a max range of up to 10 meters.

Why do you want to interface with networking via Bluetooth?

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me myself has a droid x. Just download pdanet from the android marketplace and Bluetooth tether it with your iPad 2. That's what I did. And bam! Your on the Internet via bluetooth

Would I assume you also jailbreak to make it work?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score

My IPAD 2 is on its way I also would like details on this option. I plan on upgrading my cellphone very soon, so if you can clarify just how we can connect the I2 to an Android phone I(we) would be very happy.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My IPAD 2 is on its way I also would like details on this option. I plan on upgrading my cellphone very soon, so if you can clarify just how we can connect the I2 to an Android phone I(we) would be very happy.

On an Android phone you can set up a personal hotspot, just as you can under iOS 4.3 on an iPhone. This will allow you to connect your iPad to your Android phone using WiFi.

Have a look here for details...

The Best Android Hotspot Apps to Get Connected

The PDANET app mentioned by the other poster is, of course, also an option - but I'm still unclear whether you can do this on a non-jail broken iPad. The WiFi tethering option to your Android phone, for sure, works on a non-jail broken phone.

Tim
Scotland

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
On an Android phone you can set up a personal hotspot, just as you can under iOS 4.3 on an iPhone. This will allow you to connect your iPad to your Android phone using WiFi.

Have a look here for details...

The Best Android Hotspot Apps to Get Connected

The PDANET app mentioned by the other poster is, of course, also an option - but I'm still unclear whether you can do this on a non-jail broken iPad. The WiFi tethering option to your Android phone, for sure, works on a non-jail broken phone.

Tim
Scotland

Yea I tried with my rooted droid x, cut bluetooth on the iPad1 and my droid, it recognized them both and I got a code to pop up on both screens at the same time with the same code....I then hit pair on both, they both paired but then also said not connected. I may get around to trying pdanet if the person that mentioned that isn't jail broken....."wireless tether" app works jus fine for the iPad to pick up via wifi though

OP
F

Fixmy59bug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I wanted to use bluetooth because I read that it used less power. But upon doing some research, I learned that the bluetooth transfer rates are also MUCH lower than the Wi-Fi.

The only problem is that using my phone as a hotspot, REALLY sucks the battery. I guess I will have to live with it.

I can definitely confirm that wireless hotspot on an android can be picked up and connected to with an unjailbroken iPad. That's what I have been using in the mean time.

The ipad just sees it as an available wireless signal.

SouthernGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fixmy59bug said:
Well, I wanted to use bluetooth because I read that it used less power. But upon doing some research, I learned that the bluetooth transfer rates are also MUCH lower than the Wi-Fi.

The only problem is that using my phone as a hotspot, REALLY sucks the battery. I guess I will have to live with it.

I can definitely confirm that wireless hotspot on an android can be picked up and connected to with an unjailbroken iPad. That's what I have been using in the mean time.

The ipad just sees it as an available wireless signal.

I know what you mean about the sucking your battery dry on your phone using it as a hotspot. I use my iPhone 4 and you can actually watch the battery going down quite quickly. I had in the past purchased a small rechargeable battery that plugs into the phones recharge slot for when i use it extensively for work before i ever hotspotted. Now i think i'm gonna have to buy another and keep them handy for my new mega power hungry phone needs it. :)

One of the things i don't think they know yet is how this is going to effect the life of an iPhone battery in terms of needing replacement.

Last edited:

Fairlight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 'tethered' my iPhone 3 to my iPad2 via bluetooth. For it to work I had to have a tethering contract with my iPhone contract.
I live in UK and use O2 for my iPhone. I am only using os 3 on my iPhone.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't tried Bluetooth with my mobile, but have always found it to be unreliable. Might give it a go the next time I get caught without a wifi hotspot, but this has not happened as yet :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

crj2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anyone able to get the bluetooth tethering working with the pdanet on android??

my ipad2 has no wifi setting, and lost jb, downgraded back to 4.3.3 so i can get onto jailbreakme.com. but needs internet.

Last edited:

shooper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bluetooth problem between Samsung infuse & ipad2

I am able to use my mobile ap on my Samsung Infuse for Internet connection on my Ipad2. But for some reason when you want to use bluetooth, even though the two show to pair...when you click connect...the iPad always says device not supported. I need to be able to Bluetooth photos etc from one to the other. Anyone know how to get it to connect. You'd think since they connect and function together for the mobile ap & also say they pair that they should be able to connect & share.

Most reactions