What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need app to copy and paste images from PDF file?

Zeus661

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some catalogs in PDF format. I need a way to copy and paste images in these files into emails. Is there an app available? I have found a few that will allow the text but not the images.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there a reason why you aren't just sending the PDF file as an attachment?

If you need to send only a page or two, and app like PDF Expert is cable of copy/paste/deleting individual pages in a PDF, so you can tailor make one to fit. Well, sort of.

As for copying things from a PDF, it depends a lot on the individual PDF document. Some alllow copying of text, some images, some neither. The only advice I have is to try copy and pasting the text and images separately. You can also try taking screenshots of the PDF, then use Photos or another image app to crop down to the image.

The app Annotable will let you do even more with a screenshot, adding text, shapes, pointers, and other tools to call out details.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

OP
Z

Zeus661

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes the reason I don't send the entire PDF is because it is over 3000 pages and 165mb. In this catalog are close to 100,000 items. All I want to do is send just the information they are requesting on one item which sometimes only occupies 25% of the page. I have Adobe Acrobat Pro on my PC. With that program I am able to do what I am asking. Just looking to see if I can do it with my iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not sure if this suggestion will work for you? I opened a PDF file (manual for my Panasonic DC) stored in iBooks and took a screen capture which was saved to Photos (see first image); then, using the editing, i.e. cropping, feature of that app created the second image of the photo only. Dave :)
IMG_7545.PNG
FullSizeRender.jpg

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Giradman. That is what I do. Simplicity: solves the problem with no extra apps.

Edit: actually I just thought that I do use extra apps, to crop and save at lower resolution, but then I use these at other times for photos, etc.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman. That is what I do. Simplicity: solves the problem with no extra apps.

Edit: actually I just thought that I do use extra apps, to crop and save at lower resolution, but then I use these at other times for photos, etc.

Well, the Photos app has some editing features, including cropping (which I did w/ the pic shown in my post), BUT re-sizing is not an option and another app needs to be used - have at least 3 apps (Pixelmator, Photogene, and PS Touch) on my iPad that supports re-sizing. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If screenshots are OK, and you are just looking for a quicker method than using three or four apps, you might want to consider the Workflow app. It's an automation app with a fairly simple (for automation) interface.

I've made a quick flow that lets you pick an image from the Photo Library, opens and image editor pre-set to the crop tool, resizes the image, then opens the email dialog with the image preloaded.

Basically, once you've taken the screenshot, you just use the workflow and send the email. If you've got standard text and or email addresses for the email, those can be added with a somewhat more complicated workflow.

Here is how the flow looks.

IMG_2036-2.png

This is the email interface after the flow has done all the previous work. There is an image editor for cropping before this. As you can see, I just used a screen shot of the workflow app as the example.

IMG_2037-2.png

The workflow can be saved as an icon to the home screen, for easy access, or as an extention in the sharesheet for more universal access inside of apps: or both.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Because I'm often curious about what I can do with Workflow, I took the script a bit further, as proof of concept. Here is a quick video of the script in action.

As you can see, it lets you enter the customer's name, insert that name in some standard text, select and crop an image, then send an email with the text and image.

Most reactions

Latest posts