What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need App Recommendations

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I need a free app for writing a book. Office was suggested but it isn’t free. Something where I can save the document in other apps as well. For example, I’m told that I should backup to several Gmail accounts to be safe.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I need a free app for writing a book. Office was suggested but it isn’t free. Something where I can save the document in other apps as well. For example, I’m told that I should backup to several Gmail accounts to be safe.

Hello - not sure how 'complex' your book may be? Of course, this will impact on the features you may need. But, Apple offers your a free set of office type apps, i.e. Pages, Numbers, and Keynote - Pages is the word processor - more information HERE - plus, the app offers plenty of templates, including a number for 'books' - see pic below from my iPad and note the two rows of 'books' which can be scrolled for more selections. Plus, there are plenty of options for saving and sharing your documents - do a practice doc and then explore the choices to determine if one or more serves your needs. Dave

IMG_0893.PNG

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello - not sure how 'complex' your book may be? Of course, this will impact on the features you may need. But, Apple offers your a free set of office type apps, i.e. Pages, Numbers, and Keynote - Pages is the word processor - more information HERE - plus, the app offers plenty of templates, including a number for 'books' - see pic below from my iPad and note the two rows of 'books' which can be scrolled for more selections. Plus, there are plenty of options for saving and sharing your documents - do a practice doc and then explore the choices to determine if one or more serves your needs. Dave

View attachment 89463

Thank you! The book is an autobiography about a certain time in my life. No images but text only. Great idea for the temporary doc. I have amnesia but can take notes for important things.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are several outliner apps, some of which are free, possibly worth a look at. Perhaps others here may have particular app recommendations. (To me, outliners provide planning, structure, headings, etc. followed by body text.)

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I’m using Docs until I find the right app.

Most reactions

Latest posts