Myrtle Beach, South Carolina & Environs

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Sep 28, 2015.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Myrtle Beach SkyWheel & Brookgreen Gardens (return visit) - Part 1

Our last full day in Myrtle Beach - activities included a ride on the Myrtle Beach SkyWheel, then a repeat visit to Brookgreen Gardens (for lunch and viewing the Gardens - a ticket allows a 7-day visit), and finally a dinner in Murrells Inlet (which was disappointing and will not be discussed - unfortunate - left a TripAdvisor review).

But for this post, I'll simply discuss the SkyWheel - located in the older and a little 'run-downed' area of Myrtle Beach - our first visit and ride to this 'new age' ferris wheel - 180 ft off the ground and 200 ft above the beach - the cars are air-conditioned and fit up to 6 people - price of admission included 4 round trips (I believe) of the wheel - the views were spectacular - pics below mostly my own except the first one - the last is Susan & I taken on a 'blue screen', i.e. the usual pre-ride pic - we usually never buy these but this one was nice (at least in our opinion) - fun ride; also on the boardwalk was an old and large gaming arcade that brought back memories of my youth. Following posts will be about the Gardens. Dave :)
    MB_SkyWheel8.png MB_SkyWheel3.JPG MB_SkyWheel4.JPG MB_SkyWheel2.JPG MB_SkyWheel5.JPG MB_SkyWheel6.JPG MB_SkyWheel7.JPG MB_SkyWheel1.JPG

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Brookgreen Gardens - Revisit - Part 1

There are so many activities at the Brookgreen Gardens that a day (or several) is just not enough, so since our ticket included 7 consecutive days, we decided to return - had a fine lunch at their Pavilion Restaurant and then toured the Gardens (see map earlier in this thread) - there are so many wonderful areas to visit, i.e. isolated garden sites, indoor and open air buildings, and walks to the water where our pontoon boat ride floated by the observation tour. I took a LOT of new pics (some duplicated in the earlier posts of this thread) and will simply repost - so hope that those looking will enjoy. Dave :)
    BGG_2nd_A1.png BGG_2nd_A2_Visionaries1.JPG BGG_2nd_A3_Visionaries2.JPG BGG_2nd_A4_DianaChase1.JPG BGG_2nd_A5_DianaChase2.JPG BGG_2nd_A6_DianaChase3.JPG BGG_2nd_A7_DianaChase4.JPG BGG_2nd_B1__Brown0.JPG BGG_2nd_B2_Brown1.JPG BGG_2nd_B3_Brown2.JPG BGG_2nd_B4_Brown3.JPG BGG_2nd_B5_Diana1.JPG BGG_2nd_B6_Diana2.JPG BGG_2nd_B7_Muses1.JPG BGG_2nd_B8_Muses2.JPG BGG_2nd_B9_Muses3.JPG

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Brookgreen Gardens - Revisit - Part 2

Just some more wonderful pics - we took the trail to the waterway where our previous boat trip toured - fortunately did not encounter any alligators (but they are there!) - for those viewing this thread and especially those who may live in the area or have visited, please add a post or two - Dave :)
    BGG_2nd_C1_Dionysus1.JPG BGG_2nd_C2_Dionysus2.JPG BGG_2nd_C3_LiveOakAlley1.JPG BGG_2nd_C4_LiveOakAlley2.JPG BGG_2nd_C5_LiveOakAlley3.JPG BGG_2nd_C6_LiveOakAlley4.JPG BGG_2nd_C7_Pegasus1.JPG BGG_2nd_C8_Pegasus2.JPG BGG_2nd_D1_Palmetto1.JPG BGG_2nd_D2_Palmetto2.JPG BGG_2nd_D3_Palmetto3.JPG BGG_2nd_D4_Palmetto4.JPG BGG_2nd_D5_Pegasus3.JPG BGG_2nd_D6_Trail1.JPG BGG_2nd_D7_Trail2.JPG BGG_2nd_D8_Trail3.JPG

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for another excellent travel story. This is definitely a place I would visit if I were in the area.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Thanks SciFan.. - the Brookgreen Gardens are certainly worth a visit and 2 days are really needed for a full appreciation. I love the Live Oak Allée - the 'Old Kitchen' is nearby (now a snack/drink shop) and I suspect that those magnificent oaks likely lined the entrance road up to the planation house (which no longer exits) - in fact, on the four plantations only the chimney of the Laurel Hill Plantation rice mill (shown below) still is standing; the mill building was torched during the Civil War - we saw the structure on our Trekker Tour.

In the Brookgreen Gardens gift shop, we bought a number of items, including a bag of Carolina Gold Rice which is being produced in South Carolina on a limited basis - so will be a 'flashback' meal when Susan cooks up some of the historic coastal grain - she has a nice shrimp gumbo dish w/ okra and rice - maybe I'll suggest that one first! Dave :)
    laurel-hill-plantation.jpg 20160524-carolina-gold-rice-vicky-wasik-4.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Carolina Gold Rice - Our First Try and Delicious!

Last night, Susan made a rice pilaf w/ peas, mushrooms, herbs, and shrimp - rice from our bag bought at Brookgreen Gardens - the rice was plump, creamy (like a risotto), and delicious - looking forward to our next meal. Below some web pics - ripe 'golden' colored rice in a South Carolina field (hence the name); brief description from the Anson Mills Website; risotto dish (not ours but an easy recipe from the link just given).

Finally, a short book Carolina Gold Rice which I bought as a Kindle edition a few days ago (already read), written by a retired Savannah eye surgeon who was instrumental in restoration of the historic rice culture of the Carolina-Georgia low country - a final pic of the author and his son, Dr. Richard Schulze. If you are a lover of rice, order some Carolina Gold and try the recipes in the first link. Dave :)
    CarolinaGold1.jpg CarolinaGold2.jpg CarolinaGold3.png CarolinaGold4.jpg CarolinaGold5.png CarolinaGold6.png