What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Island - Montauk, Hamptons, & North Fork

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Somehow I knew there'd be a vineyard visit somewhere during your trip. Thanks for the pictures. Unfortunately, vineyards are few and far between on the Canadian prairie.:(

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Somehow I knew there'd be a vineyard visit somewhere during your trip. Thanks for the pictures. Unfortunately, vineyards are few and far between on the Canadian prairie.:(

Hi Scifan.. - well w/i a few months, I've visited the major wine making regions of New York State; the only other main areas in the state are in the Hudson River Valley which I've been to but not to the wineries; and along Lake Eire extending toward the Canadian Ontario Niagara wineries, an area of great dessert wines which I've visited and sampled - map attached shows those other places in NY State where wines are made - amazingly this state along w/ Washington State are numbers 2 & 3 in wine production in the USA - of course, California is by far number one! Dave :)
NY-State-Wine-Regions.gif

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
SAD POST - My Wonderful MIL Passed Away - Unexpected Visit to Montauk

We just returned from an unplanned trip to Montauk - my dear MIL passed away - she was 94 years old and was going 'downhill' in the last 6 months - the passing was peaceful and the family was relieved - she really was pretty immobile the last few years - our son & DIL flew into La Guardia (from Indianapolis) as did we - I rented a car from there to drive to Montauk (2 1/2 hours).

But on a more positive side, the weather was just beautiful and we ate well - lobsters, oysters, clams, and great sushi; my DIL's only other visit to Long Island was 10 years ago when my FIL passed away - both are now buried in East Hampton. I did take a few pics and found some on the web, so this may be my last input on this thread, especially if my BIL plans to sell the property there, a place we have been visiting for 40+ years.

SO, will add some pics - first a satellite view of the tip of Long Island w/ labels on some of the places shown later - we stayed at the Montauk Yacht Club (arrow on our room) - followed by some pics of the view to the Lake and the 'family house' on the hill on the opposite shore, where my MIL lived the last 10 years of her life - next, a couple of views around the club, i.e. the small beach & sea birds. We ate @ Gosman's Dock the first night (discussed in previous posts of mine and highly recommended if you are ever visiting the area!); I took my DIL to the Montauk Lighthouse commissioned during the presidency of George Washington and first opening in the late 1790s; last day, Susan at Gin Beach looking toward the inlet into the lake (use to go in & out of there w/ my FIL on his boats to fish). On our final night, we ate across the inlet from Gosman's Dock at the Inlet Seafood Restaurant - took a pic of the sunset after our dinner (missed the sun by a half hour or so). I can go 'on & on', and will if there are any questions. Dave :)
Montauk_SatelliteMap.png
MontaukYachtClub.png
MontaukYC1.JPG
MontaukYC2.JPG
Montauk_YClubBeach.JPG
Montauk_Seagull.JPG
GosmansDock.png
Lighthouse1.JPG
Lighthouse2.JPG
GinBeach_Susan.JPG
InletSeafoodRestaurant.png
Montauk_Sunset.JPG

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My condolences on your sad loss Dave. And again thanks for the entertaining and informative travelogues.
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew & Scifan for your appreciated thoughts - my FIL passed away 10 years ago - Susan's mother was the last of our four parents to leave us.

I was looking at some 'old' pics of Susan's mother, Sylvia, and also of some of our early visits to Montauk when our son, Stephen, was a little guy - thought that I'd add a few in case my spouse shows up to comment - :)

First pic of Sylvia on her graduation from NYU Medical School - followed by the Montauk house in its youth before all of the bushes & shrubbery grew up (arrow on Gosman's Dock) - the view is toward Lake Montauk and LI Sound (going to the left on the deck, the Atlantic Ocean comes into view); finally, pics of our young son w/ each of his grandparents and the Lake. Dave
Sylvia_Young copy.jpg
MontaukHouse.jpg
SteveMarv_Montauk.jpg
SteveSylvia_Montauk.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Andrew & Scifan for your appreciated thoughts - my FIL passed away 10 years ago - Susan's mother was the last of our four parents to leave us.

I was looking at some 'old' pics of Susan's mother, Sylvia, and also of some of our early visits to Montauk when our son, Stephen, was a little guy - thought that I'd add a few in case my spouse shows up to comment - :)

First pic of Sylvia on her graduation from NYU Medical School - followed by the Montauk house in its youth before all of the bushes & shrubbery grew up (arrow on Gosman's Dock) - the view is toward Lake Montauk and LI Sound (going to the left on the deck, the Atlantic Ocean comes into view); finally, pics of our young son w/ each of his grandparents and the Lake. Dave
View attachment 67657 View attachment 67658 View attachment 67659 View attachment 67660
Thanks for the wonderful photos of your family. Even though they're gone, you still have all the happy memories of them to treasure forever.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the wonderful photos of your family. Even though they're gone, you still have all the happy memories of them to treasure forever.

Thanks again - now to see what Susan's brother is going to do w/ that piece of property? :) Dave

Last edited:

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SAD POST - My Wonderful MIL Passed Away - Unexpected Visit to Montauk

We just returned from an unplanned trip to Montauk - my dear MIL passed away - she was 94 years old and was going 'downhill' in the last 6 months - the passing was peaceful and the family was relieved - she really was pretty immobile the last few years - our son & DIL flew into La Guardia (from Indianapolis) as did we - I rented a car from there to drive to Montauk (2 1/2 hours).

But on a more positive side, the weather was just beautiful and we ate well - lobsters, oysters, clams, and great sushi; my DIL's only other visit to Long Island was 10 years ago when my FIL passed away - both are now buried in East Hampton. I did take a few pics and found some on the web, so this may be my last input on this thread, especially if my BIL plans to sell the property there, a place we have been visiting for 40+ years.

SO, will add some pics - first a satellite view of the tip of Long Island w/ labels on some of the places shown later - we stayed at the Montauk Yacht Club (arrow on our room) - followed by some pics of the view to the Lake and the 'family house' on the hill on the opposite shore, where my MIL lived the last 10 years of her life - next, a couple of views around the club, i.e. the small beach & sea birds. We ate @ Gosman's Dock the first night (discussed in previous posts of mine and highly recommended if you are ever visiting the area!); I took my DIL to the Montauk Lighthouse commissioned during the presidency of George Washington and first opening in the late 1790s; last day, Susan at Gin Beach looking toward the inlet into the lake (use to go in & out of there w/ my FIL on his boats to fish). On our final night, we ate across the inlet from Gosman's Dock at the Inlet Seafood Restaurant - took a pic of the sunset after our dinner (missed the sun by a half hour or so). I can go 'on & on', and will if there are any questions. Dave :)
View attachment 67636 View attachment 67637 View attachment 67638 View attachment 67639 View attachment 67640 View attachment 67641 View attachment 67642 View attachment 67643 View attachment 67644 View attachment 67645 View attachment 67646 View attachment 67647

We will miss my mother but her quality of life was minimal and she was almost 95, so her passing was a blessing. Montauk is a beautiful place (and can't beat it for the seafood), but with both of my parents gone it's unlikely we'll make another visit there.

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score

View attachment 67657 View attachment 67658 View attachment 67659 View attachment 67660

It's nice to remember how pretty my mother was and how much fun my parents had with our son Stephen (now an unbelievable 42!!)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's nice to remember how pretty my mother was and how much fun my parents had with our son Stephen (now an unbelievable 42!!)

For those who may be interested, just a few more appropriate pics - Susan in the arms of her mother and Stephen in Montauk (at an early age) enjoying some cake using his fingers - don't believe that he was interested in the wonderful view out the window, as shown in some previous pics! ;) Dave
IMG_3961.JPG
IMG_0048 2.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
February 9, 2017 - Blizzard Storm Hitting Long Island - Brother In-Law in the Montauk House!

We have so many warm memories of Montauk & environs - currently, Long Island is being pommeled by a blizzard likely to leave a foot or more of snow, ice, and cold temperatures! Below the weather prediction as to an hour ago - second pic of the location of the family house (w/i the white circle) - now this is at the very tip of the island surrounded by LI Sound and the Atlantic Ocean which might modify the snow fall amount? See previous posts of the house, if interested.

The power just went out - his father put in a generator years ago but not sure if it is working (asked my BIL on FB a moment ago) - he does have a fire going (third pic) and hopefully plenty of wood. For those contemplating a trip to the Hamptons & Montauk, the spring and fall are the BEST times! :) Dave

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 1.18.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 1.15.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 12.19.26 PM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, my BIL got hit w/ 18 inches of frozen stuff! His road down is a 30º decline and will not be plowed, so unless the temps get above freezing, he'll be stuck for a number of days - no pics posted but I can imagine the appearance - fortunately, the 'off season' there and many business close down. :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Shadmoor State Park - New Montauk Discovery!

There are a number of New York State Parks on Long Island w/ several in the Montauk area - one of the newest ones is Shadmoor State Park (see map & first quote below), designated in the year 2000; now year's ago I was walking along the Atlantic Ocean beach where the park is now located, but was private property then. Yesterday, my BIL shared a post of a local friend w/ some pics of the beach/park (three shown below) - what is fascinating is that many of the stones/boulders/objects stuck in the bluffs are leftover from the last ice age as glaciers were receding and leaving all of this debris (second quote from a NY Times article in 2000 when the park was established).

We will probably get back to Montauk in the next few years - visiting this state park is on the top of my 'bucket list' - :) Dave

Ninety-nine acre Shadmoor State Park, located one quarter-mile east of Montauk Village, features more than 2,400 feet of ocean beach accessed by two stairways. The park, named for its open, rolling geography and the shadbush that grows there, also has bluffs, freshwater wetlands that are part of the preserve, hiking trails and elevated platforms for birdwatching and enjoying the shoreline views. The park's foliage includes black cherry trees and clusters of the rare and federally-endangered sand plain gerardia plant. Of historical note, two concrete bunkers, erected during World War II and once equipped with artillery guns to protect the coast from enemy invasion, remain on the property (Source).

Larry Penny, East Hampton's director of natural resources, called the tract ''a remnant of the last advances of the Ice Age, which ended about 18,000 years ago.'' The bluffs, he said, are peculiarly fluted with vertical, razor-sharp parallel ridges (Source).
sufcoe.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 5.36.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 5.36.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 5.36.59 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shadmoor State Park - New Montauk Discovery!

There are a number of New York State Parks on Long Island w/ several in the Montauk area - one of the newest ones is Shadmoor State Park (see map & first quote below), designated in the year 2000; now year's ago I was walking along the Atlantic Ocean beach where the park is now located, but was private property then. Yesterday, my BIL shared a post of a local friend w/ some pics of the beach/park (three shown below) - what is fascinating is that many of the stones/boulders/objects stuck in the bluffs are leftover from the last ice age as glaciers were receding and leaving all of this debris (second quote from a NY Times article in 2000 when the park was established).

We will probably get back to Montauk in the next few years - visiting this state park is on the top of my 'bucket list' - :) Dave

View attachment 75966 View attachment 75967 View attachment 75968 View attachment 75969
Your brother in law certainly lives in an interesting area. I assume the beach appearance can change quite dramatically during a major storm.

Most reactions

Latest posts